holden beach,north carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterndrive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
doing the family vacation thing there for a week in may.any good dive areas around there,ocean or fresh water.i will have a boat with me?

My brother and our families did a week in Holden Beach in June a couple years back. Had a good time! My brother and I did a couple dives with Aquatic Safaris on the Hyde and Markham wrecks. Pretty nice outfit. Be prepared, as the Atlantic off off the N.C. coast can get rough. Have a great time. :)

Most of the good dives are a long way off shore from HB, in the 25-35 mile range. Don't know what kind of boat you have but a 17 ftr is not going to cut it for long distance off shore, plenty of fishing close by however. HB inlet is small and can be very rough. And your crazy if you dive off your boat without someone remaining on board that is a capable captian, current and seas can get bad off shore. We lost 2 divers a few years ago doing that. Your best bet for diving is to head up to the Wilmington area and get on one of the charters.
I have a house on Oak Island just across the inlet from HB and have run a 24ftr off shore for the last 15 years so I have a good bit of experience on the water in that area.

thanks for the info.i have a 24' pursuit,but i don't think i would go that far out.how about any good waterfront bar/rest. in the area?

I go to Holden almost every year for a week in Sept.Betty's Waterfront Restaurant is on the mainland side of the canal with good food at a reasonable price.I like it anyway.Not much on Holden itself....a couple of small places just east of the bridge.Not sure if they have drinks.
Nearest fills are North Myrtle and Carolina Beach.I've done a few shore dives straight off the beach.Lots of shells if you like collecting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom