Holbox Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddlich

Reaction score
We are thinking of going to Holbox Island in either July or August 2005 to swim with the whale sharks. Has anyone been there? Is it possible to scuba with them or only snorkle? Also if you have been there do you have any hotel recommendations.

My wife and I along with several friends are planning on a trip to Cozumel in June 2005. We plan on doing the snorkel trip with the Whale Sharks in Holbox. Yes, it is only snorkeling.

murphdivers286:
My wife and I along with several friends are planning on a trip to Cozumel in June 2005. We plan on doing the snorkel trip with the Whale Sharks in Holbox. Yes, it is only snorkeling.

How do you get from Cozumel to Holbox? Isn't Holbox off the north shore of the Yucataan in the Bay of Camoeche?

toddlich:
We are thinking of going to Holbox Island in either July or August 2005 to swim with the whale sharks. Has anyone been there? Is it possible to scuba with them or only snorkle? Also if you have been there do you have any hotel recommendations.

Hi, toddlich.
I am planning a trip to either Holbox or La Paz in August and doing research as well.
I contacted Blue Angel dive shop in Cozumel and they recommended a Mawimbi Hotel.
Here is pretty informative website http://www.holboxisland.com

From the conversation with the dive shop I got an impression that there is some sort of tourist war is going on between Cozumel dive shops and local people of Holbox. Locals understood the tourist value of whale sharks tours and don't want anybody else on their market :) I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got.
Dive shop told me that they would organize a trip to Holbox but only if there are enough people interested.
You posted your question in March, did you gather any more information? I'd be glad if you could share it.

Cheers,
oceanrealm

The only other information that I have is that it is snorkling only...no scuba. If I were going to go I would go with the locals and stay on Holbox. It takes too long to go from Cozumel. I heard you have to leave at 4 AM.

oceanrealm:
Hi, toddlich.
I am planning a trip to either Holbox or La Paz in August and doing research as well.
I contacted Blue Angel dive shop in Cozumel and they recommended a Mawimbi Hotel.
Here is pretty informative website http://www.holboxisland.com

From the conversation with the dive shop I got an impression that there is some sort of tourist war is going on between Cozumel dive shops and local people of Holbox. Locals understood the tourist value of whale sharks tours and don't want anybody else on their market :) I might be wrong, but that's the impression I got.
Dive shop told me that they would organize a trip to Holbox but only if there are enough people interested.
You posted your question in March, did you gather any more information? I'd be glad if you could share it.

Cheers,
oceanrealm

toddlich:
The only other information that I have is that it is snorkling only...no scuba. If I were going to go I would go with the locals and stay on Holbox. It takes too long to go from Cozumel. I heard you have to leave at 4 AM.

Yes, that's true, you'd have to take off at 4 am.
Did you figure out anything about hotel?

Cheers,
oceanrealm

Couple points. There is no scuba diving with the whale sharks. once you go there you will realize even if you were allowed to use scuba you would likely want to just snorkel. the sharks are on the surface feeding. they tend to ignore divers so they slowly swim past you and you are not likely to be able to keep up with them for more than a minute or so. so you climb back on the boat and jump in the water with them a bit later. imagine doing this with tanks. would get very tiring.
as to doing the trip with an operator on cozumel or just going there on your own. if you are comfortable traveling in mexico you could rent a car in playa and drive to the town across from holbox. that would take you 2-3 hours. leave the car in a parking lot and take the boat over to holbox. lots of small hotels and lots of operators doing these trips. the cozumel-holbox thing is i believe many operators on holbox feel the folks running the trips from cozumel are taking the major profit. that said the only people who have permits are based on holbox. There are many operators doing this type of dive but my only experience was with Marvin Jimenez at info@marvintours.com His web site was www.marvintours.com

Thank you for info!
Looks like Marvintours is more or less reputable outfit - I've already seen a few references to him.
How did you like Holbox in general? I plan to stay there for 3-4 days. I understand it is still unspolied piece of land.

Cheers,
oceanrealm

oceanrealm:
Thank you for info!
Looks like Marvintours is more or less reputable outfit - I've already seen a few references to him.
How did you like Holbox in general? I plan to stay there for 3-4 days. I understand it is still unspolied piece of land.

Cheers,
oceanrealm
if you like laid back you will love the island. sand streets etc. 3-4 days is perfect to arrange a shark tour for your group. you should be able to get a bus from the cancun terminal to chiquila which is where you catch the boat to holbox. that way you are not stuck with a car rental. or just leave your car at one of the parking lots. ps if you go with marvin try and make sure he is on the boat.

oceanrealm:
Thank you for info!

Cheers,
oceanrealm

Let me know how you like it we plan on staying there for a few days next year.
Thanks
Joe B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom