Hola from Akumal Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, GUE doesn't use sidemount -- and there is no question that there is some exploration diving that is not possible in backmount. But the vast majority of folks diving anywhere are not going to do those dives.

DIR isn't the only way to dive. It isn't even the only good way to dive. But it is a very good way to dive, with a lot of advantages, including the ability to slot into a team anywhere in the world and feel immediately at home, because the standardized gear and protocols makes everything very easy.

I did not mean to kill the thread with this nor stir the pot.

Truth is, for cave diving:: team goes in, team comes out, head count matches, it's a good dive. Just know that, for all diving, there should be an attitude of continual learning and practice of agreed upon emergency skills/procedures. You do that bad things almost never happen. And if something does, everyone knows what to do. You have to keep thinking and evaluating the environment. Good diving should be a near Zen experience, and it's more fun that way. Not to mention your breathing rate also will go down.

Truth is, for cave diving:: team goes in, team comes out, head count matches, it's a good dive. ... You have to keep thinking and evaluating the environment. Good diving should be a near Zen experience, and it's more fun that way.

That sounds good to me! Thanks to everyone for the input. I LOVE ScubaBoard! I'm ABSOLUTELY NUTTY about scuba!! I've already learned so much, not the least of which is how much I don't know! I'm starting my OW online course and got my eRDPml so I'm excited to use it, and looking forward to the first day dipping my fins in!

LSF
:coffee:

Akumal...good memories but our last one wasn't. Sad really, we had a lot of fine trips to the Roo but our last trip was a bust and scary as hell. Thankfully never made it to the accidents forum. Losing your just turned 10 son on your first open water dive was more than enough for us. Never going back, standards are too lax in Mexico. Our son was fine and people are horrified when we tell them. Everything turned out well and I wonder if Luis is still teaching....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom