hogarthian rig and a HP transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several post indicated that it's at risk of breaking off when handled by boat crew.

You guys all know that every situation has +s and -s. We trade things out when configuring gear as we set to optimize our gear.

If that is the concern, then I would use a longer hose and bungee it to my shoulder strap. I would not have a "curb feeler / catfish whisker" hanging off my 1st stage.

If that is the concern, then I would use a longer hose and bungee it to my shoulder strap. I would not have a "curb feeler / catfish whisker" hanging off my 1st stage.
I'm happy with my setup.

There is a purpose to everything on a hog rig.

Your SPG is on the left post in order to act as a double check that the isolator is open and your left post is on. If you check it and it is still showing the same pressure you entered the water with, then the isolator is off. If it is showing empty or very low, then your left post is off.

If you put your transmitter on your right post then you will rely on it and not get those warning messages.

Although it is theoretically adding a failure point, I'd get an HP port doubler and have both SPG and transmitter on my left post, if I was going to use a transmitter.

I thought the whole idea of a hog rig was to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. I like having the backup of a mechanical SPG (on my left post) to the transmitter I have on the right post when it comes to reading gas left in my tank

I thought the whole idea of a hog rig was to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. I like having the backup of a mechanical SPG (on my left post) to the transmitter I have on the right post when it comes to reading gas left in my tank

Exactly, which is why I wouldn't have a transmitter in the first place.

But if you're going to accept the introduction of a failure point then you might as well not lose the additional information gained by having cylinder pressure data coming from the left post.

If you have the transmitter on the right you have not only gained a failure point but the temptation to rely on the transmitted data rather than unclipping, reading, and re-clipping the SPG. If you still unclip and re-clip the SPG what is the point of the transmitter? Gas consumption can easily be worked out without needing a computer.

Just wanted to re-post what someone else had posted about Steve Bogaerts having switched to just using transmitters instead of analog SPGs for all his diving (both CCR and SM): Steve Bogaerts

Exactly, which is why I wouldn't have a transmitter in the first place.

....... If you have the transmitter on the right you have not only gained a failure point but the temptation to rely on the transmitted data rather than unclipping, reading, and re-clipping the SPG. If you still unclip and re-clip the SPG what is the point of the transmitter?.......
Don't worry mate, I practice unclipping, reading, and clipping again at the beginning of each dive right after I do my S
drill
Yes, I accepted the failure point but I figured if it was backed up with a mechanical device it would be ok.

It's nice to be spoon-fed by my computer, I just don't totally rely on it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom