hog waistbelt configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, the harness is done and looks good. last problem and i have a possible solution. the crotch strap... on the bottom my abyss backplate has a horizontal slot wide enough for my webbing. the how-to's on the net show using a bolt, and i was wondering..... if i run the strap through the slot and burn a hole in the webbing to bolt the webbing to itself would that affect its integrity?

idratherbediving:
ok, the harness is done and looks good. last problem and i have a possible solution. the crotch strap... on the bottom my abyss backplate has a horizontal slot wide enough for my webbing. the how-to's on the net show using a bolt, and i was wondering..... if i run the strap through the slot and burn a hole in the webbing to bolt the webbing to itself would that affect its integrity?

I would run the harness through the slot and use a serrated slider. Weave the webbing though the slider then throught the bp slot and then weave it back through the slider.

idratherbediving:
if i run the strap through the slot and burn a hole in the webbing to bolt the webbing to itself would that affect its integrity?
No...Its pretty tough stuff. Mind you, I would use a triglide on the back connection, and the bolt (above and below) the croth D-Ring. That way it can be adjusted in case you change suits..or get thinner....or get fatter :wink:

well, you guys would probably have advised this but this is what i did... i used the non serrated triglide up from for the scooter ring which would allow adjustment. the rear i used my soldering iron to melt a hole through both pieces of webbing and bolted it above the rear dring. i tried it out today and i am amazed at how you really dont notice the harness. i must have lucked out and fit it perfectly the first time.

Just a tip on SS buckles and webbing....

The webbing sold by most dive shops is pretty stiff. VERY nice for the harness itself, but a little stiff for a crotch strap.

Stainless buckles tend to sell for about $8-$10.

I use the nice Scubapro buckles for the harness itself, but then I buy the Trident weight belt kit, which includes a stainless buckle, for about $8.
This provides about 4 feet of a softer webbing that works GREAT for the crotch strap, and provides a good stainless buckle for holding the canister.

For some reason, they charge the same for the belt with a plastic buckle, but the stainless only comes with black webbing.

I may be jumping in late here but have a thought. I keep my buckle on the left side strap but keep it short of the crotch strap. In an emergency to get the equipment off the buckle doesnt have to pass through the crotch strap, only the loose end coming from the right does. (nothing to hang up). (I use a seperate buckle to hold the canister in place)

As long as we are talking crotch strap for a second, what would you guys recomend for securing 1'' webbing.

I like the thoughts of a bolt in back then adjustable.

Anyone out there use 1" webbing instead of 2" for the crotch strap ?

robrob:
Anyone out there use 1" webbing instead of 2" for the crotch strap ?
I used one before I started scootering, but only with my wetsuit, and I had no D-rings on it. I looped it through the plate and bolted it in the back with a 1/4-20 stainless bolt and acorn nut with a lock washer and a pair of fender washers. The front was doubled through a non-serrated tri-glide.

I only did that for one vacation, and now I just use the same rig all the time... adjusted a little snug for the drysuit and a little loose for the wetsuit... works fine. I just prefer the thicker strap. It's actually a bit more comfortable, as it doesn't have the "wedgie" effect that the softer 1" strap did.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom