Hog fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the LDS got in some of these fins. They seem shorter, and more flexible than turtles and other ilk.

Any issues with the more flexible fins?

Diving in PNW.

BRad

I like mine. I wish I got the red though.

Red is my best seller. I switched to the HOG tech fins this past spring/summer from my Hollis F-1's. That took some doing as I have been diving them (the F-1's) since before they were actually released to the public as a consumer tester. Still have those prototypes. And I dive the red Tech fins. The kids at the pool in my snorkeling classes think they are the shizzle.

That said, for me, if I had to do any open ocean or strong current dives I'd take the F-1's over the Tech fins.

You have to look at what the tech fins were made for. Tech diving. Confined spaces as in wrecks and caves. They were not designed for high current applications although you can certainly use them for that and they will do the job. You'll just work harder than I like to.

Where they shine, IMO, is where they were designed to go. In those areas they are phenomenal! I taught a wreck class in them last season and during some of the penetrations we did in areas that I have been in many times with the F-1's the spaces felt bigger. I know they were not but the reduced length and response of the Tech fin made it feel like they were. No one fin is right for every application. I am looking into a set of free diving fins just to have and use on those occasions where they will be called for. When I'm snorkeling or free diving.

My GF has one pair of fins and for her they work for all the diving she does. I tried that but too many variables in my diving guided my fin choices and each has a place where they fit best. Tech dives the Tech fins. Open ocean or high current non overhead the F-1's. Non scuba snorkeling and free diving will be a set of MAKO competition free diver fins just because I like the style and don't want to spend a fortune on fins that will see occasional use.

Well the HOGS are out, my feet won't fit in the pocket with my rock boots on.

BRad

I like mine. I wish I got the red though.

Funny, I didn't think the red would be a big seller, but people LOVE them!

Red is my best seller.

I bought red Tech 2 fins. I bought them in red simply so I would have at least one unique identifying feature on my setup. In SoCal waters, viz is not so good and I can't tell you how easy it is to confuse dive buddies when everyone is wearing only black.

Yeah I was disappointed with the foot pocket. Was smaller than I had hoped for, and wished I would have ordered the next size higher.

BRad

I ended up with a pair of Hollis F1, fit my feet in rock boots like a glove. I haven't done any large surface swims in them yet, but so far they're great! (and that they come with spring straps is a big bonus, compared to others).

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom