Hog Classic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to buy a used Hog Classic second stage.
Will there be any issues using it with my Oceanic FDX10 first stage?

I started looking for another 2nd stage to replace the Delta I have. I want a reg with a metal tube to hopefully add a little moisture.
I have read a lot of good reviews about the Hog Classic, as well as other Hogs. It seems to be an easy breather.
Is there a downside to the Hog?

Since Scubatoys is your HOG (and Oceanic) service dealer I don't think I could get out of there without buying something...:D

Last edited:
The main reason I was asking about mixing brands is after a lot of reading it seems my Oceanic 1st stage has a lot going for it.
It is a balanced diaphram enviromentally sealed reg with a swivel.
Those features seem to be really useful. I don't know how it compares to other regs with those features.

Just make sure you introduce them first over a glass of wine.

I try to wait until after I mate and adjust, before I start pouring the wine. The results were spotty with the wine glass on the work bench during introductions.

Bob

Balanced means that the breathing effort stays mostly the same at different depths or tank pressures. Diaphragms are preferred for cold water or silty conditions since the guts of the reg are behind the diaphragm itself so protected. I personally like having a swivel for hose routing although it's not necessary since one you power-on the reg the hoses all get pretty rigid unless they're Miflex.

Most 2nd's have intermediate pressures (IP's) within the same range so the Hog should work fine with your Oceanic.

I hit a snag. When I got back into diving I had to buy all new gear. To save money I bought a used reg set from a lds. I wasn't up on the new stuff and took what they told me without checking.
My first stage isn't an FDX10. I think it's a SP-5 and the second stage is an early Delta.
This first stage isn't a sealed diaphram so I will want to replace it as well as the second. With all that I will be looking for a complete setup sometime after the holidays.
I dive a lot of local lakes and really want a sealed, balanced diaphram first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom