Hog 2nd stage service question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theiszy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ive serviced both my hog classic 2nd stages - i got them second hand and needing much love at the time - I haven't touched the 1st stage as I bought it new (i have dived with it a few times).

One second stage (the primary), has come up really well l, passed all the require testing. But the other 2nd stage wont "freeflow" when the venturi is turned to "max". If I turn the orifice any more anti clockwise it will hiss and leak air. Other than that It works and breathes really well.

I suppose it doesnt purge as well as the primary first stage, but if I wasnt comparing them Id say it was fine.

The only thing in can think of is that maybe the leaver is bent?
Could there be any other reason for this?

Yes.... and no....
I got this 2nd stage about 12month ago, put a new parts kit in then. Hadnt used it for a few months so pulled it apart recently gave it a good clean and re-lubed the orings.
When i serviced it the first time I dont think it would go onto free flow then either, but honestly im not really sure.

I have no idea, they lookd pertty old when i got them, or maybe just not very well taken care of. They (i purchased 3), had plain black short mouthpieces (i got rid of them).

I do have a 3rd that i can use parts from of needed.

Could be wear on the seat, especially after a year of tension, which means there is more tension on the system, as it has to travel farther to 'open up'....

I find some of my hog 2nds don't 'free flow' when properly tuned with new kits. They're close however (probably spring tension)

_R

Thanks for the replies. Ill have a bit more of a play with it. I think its pretty good as is but will se if i can fine tune is any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom