HMSC Columbia Feb 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Ogre

Contributor
Reaction score
It was a beauty of a day for diving yesterday...hopefully everyone took advantage of it.:cool2:

Here's a few shoot I took on the Columbia. The vis was as good as it gets. We had a boat load...a bunch doing penetration, a bunch doing an AOW and a couple of us meandering around.

U/O

Attachments

• Beaver divers.JPG
    Beaver divers.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Bit.JPG
    Bit.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Bow2.JPG
    Bow2.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Ling.JPG
    Ling.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Egg Mass.JPG
    Egg Mass.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 48
  • Fake Guns.JPG
    Fake Guns.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Nudi.JPG
    Nudi.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Porthole.JPG
    Porthole.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Sign.JPG
    Sign.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 42
  • turret.JPG
    turret.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Star.JPG
    Star.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 48
  • on the line.JPG
    on the line.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 55
  • on the line 2.JPG
    on the line 2.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Cool.JPG
    Cool.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 41
Great pic's. Good shot of "Mrs Underwater Ogre" at the bow. The vis looks a lot better on the outside of the wreck than it was inside. See you Tuesday night at Union Bay?

The vis was good...I did see some silt being pumped up from deck 4 into the ventilation ducts. Wonder how that happened?

I'll see you for coffee time tomorrow...I'll bring the donuts. Oh...and she prefers to be called UnderwaterH.

well, vis was awesome inside till I started doing reel work, or should I say "real" work. anyways, was an awesome day and looking forward to going back.

nice pics btw, see you tonight in Union Bay

well, vis was awesome inside till I started doing reel work, or should I say "real" work. anyways, was an awesome day and looking forward to going back.

nice pics btw, see you tonight in Union Bay

That is one tough wreck to penetrate clean. The silt goes almost up to the deckhead near the forward end. Good call on running a reel. One guy didn't a few years back and never made it out. Columbia has way less cut-outs than some of the later artificial reefs.

I was told that the Columbia was not stripped to the same extent as the other ARSBC wrecks and that the ceiling insulation is suppose to still be in place and falling down. Also the wreck being on it's side would make things even more confusing. Something to consider for anyone that wants to penetrate it. It wouldn't be my first choice if I was starting out.

There are some light fixtures and wiring / piping seperating from the ceiling, hanging down in a few spots, but for the most part it seemed in pretty good shape. Silt is piled uplike snow drifts inside some of the rooms, 10 - 12 inches deep against the port bulkheads and walls. Still a great wreck, looking forward to the next trip

Did my first 3 dives on this wreck yesterday. Amazing vis 60 ft or so Id guess. Saw an Irish Lord, a medium sized ling, some big box crab, and lots of other life on the wreck. Didnt go inside but I noticed insulation still hanging on the walls of some of the rooms I could see into. Looking forward to exploring inside on hose gear next month. I can picture that getting pretty messy though. Glad I finally got to check out this areas most famous wreck.

Nice pics, I gotta get out there soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom