Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barefoot_Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I am seeking feedback on my efforts to not trash my new vehicle with dive equipment and see if this has been done before and if my approach has any obvious concerns:

I dive double HP100’s and usually transport a buddy with to go diving. We each will generally bring 1 set of HP100 doubles, 1 heavy duty plastic tote (the black and yellow ones from a hardware store) and a drysuit bag.

My thought is to buy this Curt hitch:

And this Bag to put everything in:

Tanks on bottom, then tote, then drysuit bag. I was thinking of building a small platform out of OSB to place over the tanks to ensure the totes have a flat surface to sit on, and to keep the tanks from rolling up the side of the cargo carrier if I have to brake or swerve suddenly.

Thoughts on this setup? I don’t have space to store a trailer and I don’t want to slide the tanks in and out of my SUV.

500lb weight limit is a total lie. Maybe if perfectly balanced and you only drive in a straight line. No bumps

Get a dedicated vinyl liner for the rear of the SUV. Tanks on that. Plastic tote with everything else on top

That is a formula for needing to resort to your vocation to clean up after your hobby.

Even a folding Harbor Freight trailer with solid blocking and strapping would be a safer choice IMO, but I prefer my pneumatic missiles\bombs to be well controlled in as robust a containment as practical.

Totally agree with all comments above. I had a couple hundred pounds on one of those hitch hauls on a trip to Nevada and back. It only made it halfway home, slowly destroyed with all the bouncing and side to side shaking. Assuming your new ride is a three row SUV, drop the rear seats, and use one of the wearhertech cargo mats with the fold out bumper protectors?

1724205033654.png

I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like the hitch option is out. The car is a Rivian R1S with 3rd row armrests and plastic molded sides that aren't protected by any of the vinyl liners on the market. The only thing I have found is canvas and that doesn't look like it goes up high enough nor will protect much from heavy scuba equipment. Maybe weathertech for the bottom plus hanging something like a yoga mat as side curtain protection would work....

Edit to add - the Weathertech product is a bit underwhelming for the R1S: WeatherTech R1S Rear Cargo Liners Are Here

Tanks go in the SUV rear strapped down for safety, gear is either in the tail or in a Thule roof box on a rack. I've traveled quite often 3.5 hours each way to Montauk with 3 other divers, 2 steel 120s per diver (148 in my case), 40l pony, drysuits, all other gear, etc and been comfortable on that drive. That's a three row SUV.

Back
Top Bottom