History of Diving Museum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The History of Diving Museum would love to help coordinate a NAVED event or other type of divers "reunions." Let me know if you have suggestions. ScubaBoard is a great forum to get people together and we have the place.

What is the admission price? Do Scuba board members get a discount?

Regular admission to the Museum is $12 for adults. Children 5 -12 years old pay $6 and under 5 are free. If you mention you heard about the Musuem on ScubaBoard, we will give you $1 off per person.

We also offer group discounts, so if you are thinking of getting a group together, let us know in advance and we'll set you up with a personalized tour and special pricing.

And by all means say "Hi" to the Director while you are here! I love to meet my ScubaBoard friends in person.

I was just there Monday. I think we got a $2 discount by mentioning their website.

If you are considering a visit to the History of Diving Museum, here are some specials to help you plan:

Every Friday evening we are open late, until 8 PM. Museum admision is 50% off for everyone between 5 - 8 PM on Fridays. We also offer weekly videos, special hands-on activities for the kids and unique photo ops - for FREE. Ask us anytime and we'll pop in an episode of Sea Hunt for you to watch in the comfort of our library/meeting room.

On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month we host a seminar featuring an expert on a subject related to diving history. In addition to great speakers and interesting topics, each seminar will close with a few minutes of artifact identification (remember show and tell?) Come; bring your interest in diving and your curiosity. These seminars start at 7 PM and are FREE for everyone

If you are an industry (or otherwise) expert and are interested in presenting a seminar, please contact me. We are also looking for busineeses or individuals to help underwrite the cost of the seminars. Likewise, contact me.

We have more than 3,000 sq. feet of diving related artifacts and gear. Come and see for yourself.

FREE Seminar this Wednesday, February 18th at the History of Diving Museum. Eric Smith, diver, writer and adventurer, will present "Finding Cleopatra's Palace: a diver's perspective on recovering sunken treasure." A well-known, well-travelled speaker, Eric will share stories and adventures that no one else can.

The History of Diving Museum is located at milemarker 83 bayside in Islamorada, Florida Keys.

Directly after each seminar join us for Diver's Antiques Road Show - bring your antiques and collectibles and we'll talk about the history behind the old gear.

Call 305-664-9737 for more information or visit our web site.

We had a great seminar last night with Key West diver Eric Smith of Franck Goddio's team of research, exploration, and excavation divers. Goddio's team focuses on finding and recovering or preserving underwater shipwrecks or sites of historical and cultural significance. Eric talked about what it was like to uncover the ancient city of Alexandria and Cleopatra's palace. I sat in awe and wondered what it would be like to discover a sphinx or other ancient Eqyptian artifact while diving. If you ever have a chance to hear Eric speak, make a point to do so!

I do a light hearted presentation through the history of a very dry subject - buoyancy compensators. I have a number of vintage BCs and Milestone BCs as well. They eventually will need to be placed in a good home. =D I'm in Seattle and may not be in the keys for a bit though.

Dave Mclean

Dave, I'd love to see both at the museum, it's really a neat place. Nexst time you need a tax donation ... think of them.

Back
Top Bottom