Hilo side diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanisleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading over to kapoho bay for a couple of days as of tomorrow. Would like to check out diving on that side of island. Anyone been diving Hilo side lately? or has the wind been too much. Any current dive report or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

Heading over to kapoho bay for a couple of days as of tomorrow. Would like to check out diving on that side of island. Anyone been diving Hilo side lately? or has the wind been too much. Any current dive report or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

Hi vanisleboy,

Hilo-side is a no-go right now. We are the windward side of the island, and the wind is blowing :D

In fact, we've been having a fairly rotten winter as far as dive conditions. It has been several weeks since I've gotten wet.

As I type this, I am about 200 yards from Hilo Bay looking out my office window, and I'm looking at whitecaps, rain squals, and green-brown water.

Yuck. :(

After this type of weather (wind, waves, rain) it will take a few days of calm for the surge to calm down and the viz to get decent.

Diving on the Hilo side can be exceptional, but requires several days of light wind, and in the winter (especially this winter it seems) we have not been getting the right weather patterns.

I'd recommend Kona-side this winter for anyone considering the Big Island.

Enjoy your stay!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom