Hilo cleanup dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the head's-up. I'll give Bill a call or drop by the shop if it looks like I can dive on Sunday.

Best wishes.

Looks like I'll be there tomorrow for the coconut island cleanup party.

Anyone else from SB going?

I'll be the guy with the 7' hose and oxycheq wing.

-Eric

Looks like I'll be there tomorrow for the coconut island cleanup party.

Anyone else from SB going?

I'll be the guy with the 7' hose and oxycheq wing.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I went in and talked to Bill at Nautilus Dive Center a couple hours ago. I'm hoping to be there (hopefully with my wife diving too), but right now it is 50/50 if we can make it. If we do, I'll be the tall "pudgy" guy with the 5' long hose and Edge HOG wing :D

Weather was nice in Hilo today, hopefully tomorrow will be the same!

Best wishes.

-Ed

Gkndivenum and I just got back from the Nautilus Dive Center sponsored Coconut Island cleanup work party. We signed in and met the subdued and somewhat shy group around 1030. We promptly splashed with our potato sacks in hand gathering crud. A couple folks were hauling out a 55 gallon drum as we were suiting up. Once our goodie bags were half full we handed them off to folks in kayaks who would bring the sack of stuffs to shore.

I'm not sure this was exactly a scuba tank worthy spot to clean up. I only saw a max depth of about 8 feet. I think Gkndivebum got to 10 feet by sticking his hand in the muck when he saw he was at 9 ft. The viz was 0 to 3 feet. I've never lost a dive buddy in 5 feet of water before. Even with our bright HIDs it was nearly impossible to see much of anything. Gkn saw some seahorses but I only saw a dead one floating by. Next time I think I'll just snorkel.

In spite of the conditions the day seemed quite successful. I managed to get two half bags full of garbage. I found a few plate lunch plastic forks, a cell phone in it's belt case, 2 pairs of sunglasses and many many Heineken bottles (surprise!).

After the dive we stumbled upon Bueno Burrito for a kalua pig burrito. The coconut cilantro rice was tasty. Their salsa selection isn't bad either. Believe it or not mole sauce on kalua pig is pretty good! I'm always glad to find a random burrito no matter how good it is. I would give Bueno Burrito a solid 'B' on the worldwide burrito scale. Maybe a 'B+' because I was really hungry and an ok burrito is better than no burrito.

Check out the photos below to see the haul.

3938875323_ef6b4b965e.jpg

Cell phone & Pouch

3938878521_e7d0d7b5fa.jpg

This was the better viz

3939661108_00d019ebb5.jpg

Green bottle

3938887283_c6f2477c94.jpg

Sack'o'crap

3939669342_33be375691.jpg

Holland's finest

3938901577_ab5eddbd1c.jpg

Goodies!

3938908383_5c04b92b11.jpg

Not bad for a bunch of goofy divers

3939691162_e941aa74a4.jpg

Sorting the crud

3938918777_f956a786d2.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't make it down.... I'd hoped I'd be able to sneak away for a few hours, but had family obligations that I couldn't manage to beg out of.

One the other hand, when I see the photos.... ewwwww!!!! :D I was expecting bottles, cans and fishing line, not some of the bigger stuff you guys dredged up!

Thanks very much for helping with the cleanup, especially in the wonderful Hilo Bay vis :wink:

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom