Highly Optimized Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have any experience with the brand cleverly acronymed HOG? They make wings, Jetfin clones and other tech bits and pieces. Look at these fins: HOG Classic Tech Fins with Spring Strap

I have never seen Jet clones with rec scuba buckle posts rather than pins. The price is amazing considering the springs are included. I can't find a website for HOG themselves, only retail outlets.

All of the reviews on their gear have been positive.

That is a really good price!

I've mail ordered from Dolphin Scuba, my experience so far with them has been really good.

Does anyone have any experience with the brand cleverly acronymed HOG? They make wings, Jetfin clones and other tech bits and pieces. Look at these fins: HOG Classic Tech Fins with Spring Strap

I have never seen Jet clones with rec scuba buckle posts rather than pins. The price is amazing considering the springs are included. I can't find a website for HOG themselves, only retail outlets.

I've been diving a HOG wing for about three months now and thus far have loved using it. They are sturdily built and have a zippered access point to the internal bladder. My bro has a HOG doubles wing, and enjoys it as well.

I'm also eyeing those spring-strap fins, as the price cannot be beat. I dove a month or so ago with a guy who had a pair of them and he said that the straps kept slipping off the posts. I'm not sure if this was just an isolated case or if all of these fins suffer from this. I'd still be interested in trying a pair of them, though. I also think I'm going to buy their black-skirted diving mask, as I'm not so found of the clear-skirt mask that I own now. Just my .02. I hope it helps.

Hey Fish,

The fins you refer to is actually made by a company called Aropec in Taiwan. The HOG version of this fin is as you say one equipped with 9/16" post. They also make a pin buckle version which more closely resembles a Jet fin's buckle but instead of using chromed brass they use heavy gauge stainless steel wire.

Tilos markets the pin buckle version as the Tilos F8100 Classic Fin. I have this version of the fins and cannot say enough good things about it. The SP Jets are one of the best(if not the best) paddle fins out there. The only problen wtih it is the fact that its foot pocket in the XL sizing is made for size US8-10 wearing thin sole boots. The 2XL on the other hand, is made for Shaq.

The foot pocket of my Tilos F8100s were sized for someone using rockboots with their drysuit or thick soled wetsuit boots. It is also a full inch deeper and therefore gives better support and force transfer for your feet while finning.

As I have mentioned it has a better pin buckle than the SP jets but I still opted for the spring straps and although any of the commercially available spring straps fit the fin, I chose to make my own.:dork2: I'll try to post some pictures of my project fins in both Jet and F8100

And now for a shameless plug...these fins are available from Hollywoodivers. Look for their contact info at Hollywoodivers Southern CA's best scuba center and dive training facility 323-969-9875 1-877-OK SCUBA and browse through the other offerings that may interest you.

Pics uploaded. Click on the Stats Box.

Last edited:
I'm currently testing one of the HOG wings, a 30 pounder.

The only thing I'm having to get used to is how quiet the B/C inflator is.

It doesn't inflate the wing as quickly as my Dive Rite, but that's not a bad thing.

the K

. . . I dove a month or so ago with a guy who had a pair of them and he said that the straps kept slipping off the posts. I'm not sure if this was just an isolated case or if all of these fins suffer from this. . .

This is a "feature" of that style spring strap attachment, and can be easily solved with a zip tie or two on each post.

theskull

I have a HOG double wing and I really like it so far (about 15 dives). Previously I had an OMS wing (BWOD lol) and never did completely enjoy it. The inflator is quiet and is a little slow. I did have an o-ring extrude on the inflator connection nipple, but that was an easy fix. I also have a HOG "brass and glass" SPG that works well.

F-TS3B
AROPEC SPORTS CORP.

F-TS3A
AROPEC SPORTS CORP.

F-D2
AROPEC SPORTS CORP.

The first link is to the HOG tech fin as it starts out its life having rubber fin straps. The second link is the fin Tilos sells as the F8100 Classic. The third link is Aropec's version of the Jet Fin which was sold in Europe under the Aquarius brand. From the picture of the F-D2 you can clearly see that the foot pocket of this fin is clearly more generous than that of the SP Jet fin.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom