High season vs. low season in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning another trip to Bonaire this year (our 3rd one) - both previous trips were in December and we loved it. In 2015, we booked the week before "high season" started, so we got a break on accommodations.

I was wondering, though, what makes mid-December better than mid-November, for example? I was thinking this year, we might take 2 weeks off in November - the week before Thanksgiving go to Bonaire, and then we have a hiking trip planned for 3 days over Thanksgiving weekend with family.

Would there be any major differences in weather, water temp, diving, etc. in mid-November vs. mid/late-December? I've read that November is the wettest month, in general, but they aren't in the hurricane belt, so not overly concerned (we've seen rain a few times on both previous December trips) - and it looks like December is the 2nd-wettest month, so is it a huge deal?

Or are they high/low seasons just because most people want to travel someplace warm when it's cold where they live?

Although going to Bonaire during the winter months gets rid of the chill of winter, I prefer May through October. Weather is great, water is warm, not many divers that time of year. But there is something to be said for spending the holidays on Bonaire and experiencing their culture during this time.

All of our trips have been in November or December. I haven't noticed any difference in weather pattern between the two months. Perhaps, as you say, November is statistically a little more rainy than December, but we haven't noticed.

We've gone 3x in September/October and 2x in February. After returning from our last February trip about a week ago, we decided that our next trip will be in October again. While the surface temp and humidity levels are great in February, the island is more crowded (i.e., more restaurant traffic), there were 3 cruise ships in port over the 9 days we were there, and most importantly, the water felt cold and visibility wasn't great for part of the trip. I wore a full 3mm wetsuit and skin and ended up buying a hood after my first 2 dives because I was cold. Water temps registered 77 - 79 degrees on my computer over the course of our trip (78 - 80 on husband's computer). Visibility also wasn't that great. While we LOVE escaping the cold winter weather in February, we'd rather deal with the higher land temps & humidity to have higher water temps and better visibility.

We are going to Bonaire for the first time from March 12-19. Very much looking forward to it!
However, in general, I far prefer going to the Caribbean in the summer. Usually July or August. Fewer people, no (or at least very few) cruise ships, and often better service levels due to so few tourists.
In Grenada this past July, my daughter and I were the only divers using our dive operator that week. Nothing like booking the daily dive trip and getting private service!

I have been there in every month except July. Some are a liitle wetter, or hotter, or windier, some have other stuff going on, like Carnival or Regatta or Fireworks, some are a bit more expensive (i.e., "high season", Mid-Dec to mid-April).

I like August and Sept...warmest water, low crowds, cheaper.

We have been to Bonaire in the Spring (March/April) and it the Fall (Oct/Nov) and they are both great but the Fall has some advantages. The prices are at the cheapest, there are few crowds, and you are below the hurricane belt. But is can get rainy and the mosquitos can get nasty - still it has never been a huge problem.

I also love diving areas like the Caymans and the T&C islands but I prefer Bonaire or Curacao in the spring because the water is warmer.

I have never been there in winter or summer, but I think that Bonaire is probably a wonderful destination for all seasons!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom