high pressure tanks and old regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone know if a scubapro mk 10 1st stage will work with a high pressure tank or would the pressure be to high for it to handle? im thinking of semiretiring my 40 year old us divers tank

I use Mk10 first stages all the time on my HP tanks. I don't know if there were different versions of the Mk10 (I think there was an earlier version, one that you can no longer get parts for) and whether all of them could handle a 3,500 psi working pressure but mine seem to do well and they are at least 10+ years old.

Bill

My husband dives with a MK5 and he has a high pressure steel tank. No problem.

The Mk 10 was designed with 3000 to 3300 psi service pressures in mind. 3500 psi is probably not going to present any major problems, but that's not an absolute guarentee.

In service, high pressures (over 3300 psi) have been known to cause problems with Mk 10's due to higher pressures causing the high pressure o-ring to begin to extrude into the gap between the piston stem and the first stage body (HP o-ring pinch).

The degree to which this will occur depends on the tolerances between the piston stem and the first stage body. Mk 10's with excessive wear, poor piston alignment, or otherwise larger tolerances could have problems at pressures over 3300 psi that they do not have at lower pressures.

So if your Mk 10 has fairly tight tolerances, it may work just fine at 3500 psi. If not, it is going to suffer from various degrees of HP o-ring pinch that can result in cutting small crescent shaped pieces out of the HP o-ring that forms the seal between the piston stem and body. That will result in a leak that will quickly get progressively worse.

Scubapro developed the Mk 15 in response to a need for higher service pressures (up to 4350 psi (300 bar) and it was designed to use a replaceable bushing system. This system insures the piston stays perfectly aligned, ensures the tolerances are tighter than is possible with an o-ring supported by a traditional brass first stage body, and ensures the tolerances can easily and inexpensively be renewed at each annual service. Scubapro used this design with minor improvements in the Mk 20 and Mk 25 as well. Any of those three regulators is a better choice for very high pressures.

looks like all i need is to find a deal on a hp 100

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom