High Pressure Seat Rs-860

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bas Harts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
One of my regulators starting free flowing. The intermediate pressure was way to high.

After i took the first stage apart i found out that the high pressure seat was severely deformed/damaged and some how merged with the ADJ-spring (part 18).

See pictures below:

_3120110.jpg

Pictures below were taking after removing the ADJ-Spring:

P3120113.jpg

P3120112.jpg

What happened here? I never seen anything like it.....

The regulator is less than a year old........and has never been taken apart before.

I have 6 of these regulators and this incident made me not trust any of them anymore.

Thanks,

Bas

Once IP starts to go to hell in a BP first, it can go downhill rather quickly. In your case, it looks like high pressure gas got below the HP seat and dislodged it....and then it snowballed. It really is a good idea to check IP often. I doubt if you are seeing a design or materials defect, but I would monitor the others closely.

"it looks like high pressure gas got below the HP seat and dislodged it"

any idea what could cause this?

I suspect IP starts rising and the it can't bleed off fast enough from beneath the seat when a 2nd stage valve opens. Other possibility is elevated IP drives the piston further into the seat and the seat starts to fail. I have seen pistons driven into the seat up to their limit of travel. Once IP control starts to fail, the BP design will drive the knife edge into the seat until flow stops or a travel limit is reached.

I have just purchased some TUSA RS-811 regs and within 2 weeks of rental use they have started freeflowing as a result of the same HP seat pictured above getting worn. I've already flipped them over to provide a clean face for continued use, but wondering if anyone above has any contacts for buying replacement seats?

48 days later. Would it not be better to simply close the forum?

Almost a week after I send the email....... When can I expect a reply?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom