High level PnS or dSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txg8r

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready to do the upgrade to a more complex camera. I've been using a Olympus Stylus 500 in a PT housing (with good success) but I am now frustrated with not being able to have more control over my shots.

I am trying to make the decision about whether to go very high end PnS or go straight to dSLR. I've read numerous threads and understand the pros and cons of both. PnS - greater flexibility (able to do macro and wideangle in the same dive), less cost, less camera baggage... dSLR - minimal shutter lag, greater control over shots, better image quality...

I know my learning curve will be greater with the dSLR, but will it be a better investment in the long run? ugh, I'm giving myself a headache over this... :icoeek:

If you went to dSLR, what was the decision-maker for you?

Thanks for your input!

Something you don't want to hear: Buy both! :D

Here are a few questions to honestly assess your needs and desires.

Do you spend your dives just wanting to take pictures? DSLR

Do you take pictures or do you make pictures?
If you take pictures - PnS.
If you make pictures - DSLR.

Is your buddy good looking? - DSLR

Does your buddy have a skin that only a morray would love? - PnS and lots of Photoshop. :wink:

Are you a snapshot photographer above water? - PnS

Is National Geographic calling you every month for submissions? - DSLR

Do you feel like spending thousands of dollars upgrading cameras, lenses, computers and peripherals? - DSLR

Being an above water pro photographer who has $75 K in gear, but uses a PnS underwater I know all about newer, cooler, better. Remember it's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer. If you have a serious love affair with
making pictures then go for the DSLR.

OEX2 has some good tips - though I think that you can still make pictures with P&S...as he states it's not the tool, it's the artist.

There are several so called P&S cameras that will probably be better uses of your cash than going DSLR. I am a bit spoiled and get to dive more than a lot of people - and I haven't convinced myself that DSLR is the way forward. I expect to have a PnS and a DSLR in my collection as each serves a different need...but I'm guessing the PnS will get more use!

If you dive all the time and you are really into photography and have the cash (expect to start around $4000+) then maybe dslr is the way to go.

If you dive a few times a year or a lot, something like the Fuji 810 or one of the Olys will be a great workhorse with amazing capabilities that can grow with you.

As long as your camera of choice has good optics, underwater housings that offer complete manual control and the ability to expand your talents you should be good to go. I know that cameras such as the Canon A95 and some of the Oly Stylus cameras offer those features, but don't get as much notice. These might be good choices, too...smaller cameras are likely to be used more on land as well as underwater.

Also think what kind of diving you do - dslr's can be big and clunky so surf entries are going to be tricker.

It's a tough decision...but it's a lot of cash to plunk down for something that will only get used on 50 dives a year :)

Good luck deciding and have fun shopping!

dSLR is definitely not a good long term investment. Actually any digital camera would be a poor investment.
As far as dSLR goes, lower end dSLR shelf life is onlyh 12-18 months, Nikon last a bit longer than Canon but not by much. High end Canon and Nikon may last 3 years or so but that's about it so you will definitely lose value as newer models come out. Sometimes you get lucky and the housing does not change (such as Nikon D70 to D70s, Canon 1Ds to 1Ds MkII) but that is the exception rather than the norm.
All in all, if you do have the cash, willing to deal with bigger setup, weight, dive often enough and really enjoy uw photography more than just a few casual snaps here and there, I would certainly consider dSLR.
I was happy with Oly C4040, C5050 before I switched to dSLR.
One main reason for the to switch was that initially prices started to come down to make dSLR a bit more viable. I was more interested in macro photography and while PnS with wetmount macro lens will get the job done, I like a bit more flexibility and and a bit more working space with dedicated macro lens.
Overall, dSLR will give you better ability to work at extreme macro end as well as wide angle end. Mind you, once you go dSLR, there are a lot of hidden cost added, not just camera and housing.
Ports and zoomgear/focus gear will add a lot to the cost as well once you starts to accumlate lenses.

Thank you all for the great input!

Based on what you all have said, I am leaning towards high-end PnS. Cost may be the determining factor, but so is the fact that I am not diving every weekend (I wish). In the end, I'm just not sure I can justify the expense for the time I would actually have a dSLR underwater.

I'm now bouncing around Oly 8080 vs. Oly 7070 vs. Nikon 8800 vs. 8700... and I've seen raves about the Fujis.

Time to go to the store (without the credit cards) and play around with them.

Thanks again - you all have been a huge help!

ugh, I'm giving myself a headache over this...

LOL...yeah, I hear ya...
I was/am leading up to the same "headache" and have finally concluded for a top end Pns, the oly 7070 w/tetra and Inon stobes - that's the game plan of today... errr 10:43am Saturday anyway...

Although I might be able to get the basics, D70s, Ikelite housing and use my older SB105 strobes (probably with some sort of adaptor or modifications to add to the costs I'm sure), but then I have to "Lust After" the dome ports, lens etc... and couldn't quite make the jump.

I love my 4040 as did ssra, don't use the 5050 that much, housing is a PITA, until I get a Ikelite.. so it just collects dust... so the 7070 is my choice so far. I'll spend the big bucks on the Tetra as I like them and it'll be a Back up when I go to DSLR.. 7mpix is about the top of the line for me... heheh.. until the 12mpix start coming into the norm.. geeeshh...
Until then, as they say above,
"...it's not the camera Stupid (to me anyway),
it's the shooter...." and am happy with the shots... altough I dive to take/make pictures... can't think of the last dive without it, unless there are are new divers...

Headache??? heheheh..
I'm gonna get a beer... :cheers:
:coke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom