High IP damaging second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozan

New
Reaction score
Hi

On my last dive my octopus started leaking small bubbles from the beginning of the dive. I continued the dive without any problems but while removing my gear realized the octopus is constantly leaking air (not free flow). I took it to service and the guys at the shop told me the 1st stage needs repair (the IP was around 20 bar, I didn't see the measurement though). So they replaced some of the 1st stage parts.

Today I went to pick up the reg and found octo was still leaking air. So they didn't do a good job checking the reg after repair. The owner of the shop then showed me the IP was ok (around 9-10 bar) and told me because of the high IP, the octo needs to be readjusted. He calibrated the octo with a tool and the leak is gone now.

When there is high IP, is it normal to have creep from only one 2nd stage? And can high IP cause a change in the 2nd stage settings?

I'm still not 100% comfortable diving with this reg, and I have a diving trip coming up. Should I be worried that the fix (adjusting 2nd stage settings) was a temporary one and I can have the same problem in the near future?

Yes, that is to be expected. As IP get too high, the pressure eventually finds a way out, usually through one (or both) of your 2nds. 2nd stages should be tuned to the properly adjusted 1st stage. Your reg should be fine.

Yea, 20 bar is way too high, sure sounded like it needed a service.
IP is something you should check yourself on a regular basis. It's very easy, an IP gauge is cheap and it is the best indicator of the health of your first stage. The simple ones that clip on to your BC inflator hose are fine for quick DIY field checks. They are around $15-20 USD.

It does not surprise me the octo was leaking- actually that is a slight freeflow, esp if you are using a higher quality primary second stage. My guess is both the first and second stages were serviced....I would question any tech that at least did not suggest they be done at the same time, if the first stage needs service odds are the second stage is close to needing it. If it was serviced, it's fairly common for an octo and/or lower end primary second stages to need adjusting after service. The seats will take a set (form a slight depression in the seat) and may need to be readjusted to compensate for the set. This usually happens a few days to a few weeks after the seat has been installed and is normal. Most times, one readjustment is enough. Most techs compensate for the set by setting the reg up a little too tight at the beginning to prevent the set from causing a leak but you sacrifice performance when you do. As for damage, it's not likely a high IP did any damage.

If your primary 2nd stage is balanced and the octo is not, it's very likely that the octo would start flowing with high IP before the primary 2nd. That's because the balanced 2nd uses some of the increased IP to push the valve closed, and so as IP increases, the 2nd stage compensates. The octo, if it is not balanced, relies totally on a spring to stay closed. I agree with Herman that any technician should be aware of this and adjust everything accordingly. But, it seems like they've now done that.

Back
Top Bottom