High frequency hearing loss (past 3khz), tinnitus, and vertigo after first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sympathy for your situation, which I know is scary. I know because I suffered inner ear barotrauma as a result of a day of many descents and ascents as a divemaster assisting an instructor. My right ear was, in the words of my ENT, "dead." I couldn't hear anything on the audiogram. I was treated with high dose oral steroids.

I'm writing this to give you some hope in that over a period of 2-3 months my hearing mostly returned, the tinnitus went mostly away, and I returned to diving (but gave up divemastering:)). I know of one other similar story involving a local diver.

I may not have had a perilymph fistula, and your case may be different, but have hope!

And keep us informed as to your situation. Every case study adds to the knowledge of an injury that doesn't have information out there regarding treatment and prognosis.

Good luck! I hope all your deficits will resolve!!!
Have they commented on wether diving is in your future or is it too early to tell? Please keep us posted. Pulling for you!

My sympathy for your situation, which I know is scary. I know because I suffered inner ear barotrauma as a result of a day of many descents and ascents as a divemaster assisting an instructor. My right ear was, in the words of my ENT, "dead." I couldn't hear anything on the audiogram. I was treated with high dose oral steroids.

I'm writing this to give you some hope in that over a period of 2-3 months my hearing mostly returned, the tinnitus went mostly away, and I returned to diving (but gave up divemastering:)). I know of one other similar story involving a local diver.

I may not have had a perilymph fistula, and your case may be different, but have hope!

And keep us informed as to your situation. Every case study adds to the knowledge of an injury that doesn't have information out there regarding treatment and prognosis.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but at least I'm not alone :)

Will keep this thread updated if there's any news. Honestly would just be happy if the tinnitus decreases, but I suppose I will get used to it regardless. Definitely seems to get worse if I do something "strenuous" like coughing, managed to avoid sneezing for now.

Good luck! I hope all your deficits will resolve!!!
Have they commented on wether diving is in your future or is it too early to tell? Please keep us posted. Pulling for you!
Thank you! It seems like it's too early to tell, but for the foreseeable future I shouldn't do anything that affects the pressure in my ears. If my ear never gets better, I personally will not dive again as I would be too worried about something affecting my good ear.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but at least I'm not alone :)

Will keep this thread updated if there's any news. Honestly would just be happy if the tinnitus decreases, but I suppose I will get used to it regardless. Definitely seems to get worse if I do something "strenuous" like coughing, managed to avoid sneezing for now.
Did they tell you to use stool softeners? Often recommended...

Did they tell you to use stool softeners? Often recommended...
They did not, but sounds like good advice. Been careful to not push, but probably worth it to take some for a while..

Hi guys, wanted to give an update since I just had my follow-up appt with my ENT. There has been no changes in my hearing loss, but I've gotten used to tinnitus. Tinnitus does seem to change if I'm stressed or anxious which the ENT said is normal (or maybe I just pay more attention to it then).

Very unlikely that my hearing will improve, but at least it's not getting worse. My speech recognition is also at 100% so no need for a hearing aid as of now.

Back in October my ENT also talked about hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy, but we decided it wasn't worth the risk of making my hearing worse, since it would be similar to what caused my hearing loss in the first place.

Thank you for the update. Good luck! Have you been able to continue to dive without additional issues? Any limitations?

Hi guys, wanted to give an update since I just had my follow-up appt with my ENT. There has been no changes in my hearing loss, but I've gotten used to tinnitus. Tinnitus does seem to change if I'm stressed or anxious which the ENT said is normal (or maybe I just pay more attention to it then).

Very unlikely that my hearing will improve, but at least it's not getting worse. My speech recognition is also at 100% so no need for a hearing aid as of now.

Back in October my ENT also talked about hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy, but we decided it wasn't worth the risk of making my hearing worse, since it would be similar to what caused my hearing loss in the first place.
What about the dizziness/ vertigo?? I have had very similar symptoms

Back
Top Bottom