Hidden Gems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toff86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys

First post so I expect loads of info from all you nice divers out there. Ill cut straight to the point, later this year me and my lovely girlfriend are leaving on a diving trip of a life time. We started diving in Thailand 2 years ago and fell in love with Asia so plan to return, work out way through Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines and finally onto OZ and the Cook islands. We are planning to be away for about six months so would really like to get of the beaten track and find some more secluded dive sites not surrounded with drunken tourists picking up the local lady boys. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

P.S does any one know if its possible to either get a boat of flight from Thailand to the Anderman and Nicobar Islands? (The ones in the Bay of Bengal not Phi Phi, Phucket ect)

Cheers Guys

Happy Travels :D

Welcome to the Board!

Some charters run out to the Andemans during the season.

Great idea for a trip. From personal observations the quality of diving is inversely proportional to the amount of sleaze and night life found at any one location. I am however happy to be proved wrong. :D

May I add to your wish list some of the 'Must Do' spots in the region. In all of these spots you will be hanging out with other divers, rather than miserable drunk Russian/German/Pommie tourists:

Thailand: Live aboard out to the Similans and Richeleu in Thailand: the best of Thai diving and can be magical when the mantas/whale sharks are in town, or when the boat has a great Thai cook..

Indonesia: Lembeh in North Sulawesi - the macro capital of the world: amazing strange critters living on a black muddy bottom. Do Bunaken nearby if you want a few walls as well. Northern Bali also has some really nice macro, a few small walls and an ok wreak.

Malaysia: Sipadan has really big walls with lots of turtles and a few big fish, but a new limited permit system means you will also have to spend a lot of time diving nearby Mabul Island, which has some great macro (I actually prefer Mabul). Stay on Mabul if you can: the resorts there are pretty and have a nice vibe.

Oz: everyone heads to the Great Barrier Reef: if you wish to follow the heard then do a 5-7 day liveaboard into the coral sea for the good stuff (big walls, lots of sharks and a few big cod): the day boats out of Cairns and Port Douglas take 100's out to some very trashed reefs. Going around August will also give you a chance to dive with whales. If you are a warm water wuss then March-April on the other side of Australia in Western Australia at Ningaloo Reefs is probably the best place in the world to see whale sharks. Personally I feel the diving gets better the further south you go, and if 12C water and kelp is your cup of tea then send me a message and I’ll set you up for some great dives.

Philippines: only dived a few times, but from what I’ve heard Coron has some great wreaks and I’ve heard some really good things about Apo

Cheers,
Rohan

Thanks for the quick reply, the trip started off with the main focus on OZ but as times goes on im getting less and less interested in the country and its abundance of STA backpackers. (Sounds a bit stuck up but I like what I like).

Never mind will defiantly be heading out to the Similan islands but might not make it down to Bali as we went last year (The Gill Islands are my favorite islands in the world would love to find more of the same). The Philippines will just get there and see what the local word is, im hoping we can do a logical straight through trip bottom to top rather than bouncing up and down through Manila a million times but ill just have to wait and see.

Also add me into any “Must Do” lists I love hearing about other divers top dives.

Cheers Mate

You can also consider pulau Weh Indonesia; super cheap Air Asia direct flight from KL. We're going there on July; we paid approx. USD 100 for four (4) of us return flight KL - Aceh.

If you like wreck diving; Labuan has 4 great wrecks - can be accessed easily from Brunei.

Cheers

Are you interested in diving in Maldives? or Have you been to the Maldives? well they have really interesting dive sites. if you are planing your trip around August September or October i guarantee you Mantas and whale Sharks in Maldives. but keep in mind they see them through out the year as well. Try and look for some liveaboard trips in maldives, if you are a keen diver you would love it. Disadvantage is it could be bit expensive than Thailand and East Asian countries.

Cheers

I came to this board to ask much the same question.

Lembeh and Manado North Sulawesi - are a must and there is lots to do in the area. See posts on Indonesia.

Vietnam - fantastic country - there is some interesting diving - no big things but fascinating macro and underwater topography. And the most abrupt thermoclines I have ever swum through.

But am wondering about "hidden gems" in Malaysia (mainland and on Borneo) and Thailand.

Any more suggestions anybody? What about South Sulawesi?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i don’t think we are going to go into southern Indonesia due to the weather i think we will go through Borneo to get to the Sipadan islands then straight into the Philippines. Have just been checking out google earth and saw discovered the Palau Islands, they look awesome. Maybe a bit of a treck to get there but that’s all part of the fun any info about these island would be cool.

Many thanks

[

Any more suggestions anybody? What about South Sulawesi?[/QUOTE]

Avoid Dongala far and not that interesting.

Aand about hiden gems, I really enjoyed Pulau Weh.

I ve been to Similans, Sipadan and Bunaken: great places too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom