Hid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan once bubbled...

And it's more functional, has a more durable head, is rechargable, has a 4 hour burn time, is easier to handle..

Whatever. I've had a Light Cannon for over a year, done at least 80 dives wth it, and never had a problem. The addition of $40 for rechargeable C-Cells and a charger puts my total expense at under $200.

I think it's a great light, and I'll probably buy another one just out of spite for you naysayers!

Dave

To remove the emotion from the thread...here's the scoop.

The LightCannon is a fine 10wattHID light for recreational diving. I dove with one yesterday. However, it does have a couple weaknesses which make it less suitable for some diving. 1.) The beam is quite diffuse, even without the diffuser in place. 2.) It is horrible to stow as it dangles.

Cannister lights often feature a tightly focused beam on the lighthead which is perfect for passive communication. The "lightsaber" allows you to keep track of your buddy and exactly what they are looking at with much greater precision.
Cannister lightheads are also much more convenient as sitting on a Goodman handle above your hand, your fingers are free to manipulate inflators etc.

What many people fail to realize is that the idea of a pencil beam HID isn't to "light-up the world", it is to keep better track of the team. During yesterday's dive, my lightcannon beam disapated at only a few feet whereas both my buddies tightly focused beams were easily visible at a much greater distance. As we were swimming along, every so often a beam would pass in front of my beam and make a big circle on the bottom...correct response...big "OK" circle back. We never had to stop or slowdown or look at each other. These were daylight dives, the beams were totally visible in the water column.

is the extra weight for the 18w worth it ?

and still not seen any other comments on the GreenForce

The reason I don't want an LC (and I DO have experience with it)
- It's BIG
- In a wreck you still have to hold it
- it weighs a ton dangling from the front
- I hate disposable batteries especially in the quantity required for the LC
- the Green force can be both cannister mount and full hand-hold
- I want a neat efficient, powerful, streamlined lamp
- I have enough money

(please no more LC posts - start another thread instead entitled why I like the LC)

I agree with you Rickoz.

I don't have the cash yet but should have in the new year - I'll race you to buy one and if I don't like it I'll tell you it's great and let you have it second hand for a small premium with some lame excuse for upgrading :mean:

Don't worry about the "weight issue" of cannister lights...look at the bouyancy characteristics underwater. They disappear (and can typically allow you to remove a few pounds of lead) completely underwater.

Dry land weight really isn't an issue at all.

If size and weight are an issue.

I recently bought a Gilan Traveller cannister HID for Eur 565,-
NiMH batteries, quickcharge, 3 hours burntime. It's is a rather compact and low weight set.

However it has a more expensive brother, the Traveller Plus. This set contains the possibility to convert the light into a very small handhold HID. ( l x d: 210 x 50mm) weighing only 600 g out of the water! All the nessesary parts for this convertion are in the set.
I never came across a smaller torch in HID

( i do not have any link to Gilan, i'm just a very satisfied user)

Im also in the market for a Canister light, (HID) after just buying the Light canon HID light also, but i will tell you one thing i have learned. I went upto Gennie Springs here in FL, they had the Dive Rite 10 W HID lights with adjustable beams, Halycon 10 W HID, and Sarteck HID canister light. The Haylcon was close to $800 and the dive rite for about $450, Sarteck being around $575, we compared all of them and i couldnt belive it but the sarteck had a great focusable beam, tight, and alotta brighter , then we compared it with the light canon, and i didnt see a differnace of $400 other then the canister you can free up your hand.
Another thing is the Light Canon HID has a 6 degree fixed beam, not a 13, which any of the canister lights only focus down to 6 degree's, so there beams are all the same. Now ive changed my mind from a 10 W HID after seeing what a great light the Light Canon HID was for $150, and thinking of going with the 18 W HID, but havnt got a chance to try one out yet. But ive dove everything from cave to full wreck to rec night dives, and so far the Light canon has been nothing but a great light for all around, but yes i still do consider it a REC, and yes i did buy it as a back up light and will goto a canister light for primary, hope this helps

Rickoz once bubbled...
Someone must have one :confused:

I've got one. (an LC100)

I suspect it's a newer version, since he bulb is now retained by an o-ring and is very hard to remove and damn near impossibe to install.

It's an OK light, but I must say I'm not impressed with the light output.

I guess it's just an engineering tradeoff like everything else. You get a couple of hours of pretty-good light out of 8 c-cells.

It's not as bright as my 50W halogen, although it also doesn't use 10 pounds of battery.

I think next I'm going to try replacing the battery in my dive-rite halogen lamp with NiMh or L-Ion. The 50 w bulb is very bright and if it burns out, a replacement is $4 at home depot.

Back
Top Bottom