HID vs LED: 500 LUMEN underwater kinetics vs 337 LUMEN princeton tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 500 Lumen DR LED handheld (also has a cord option that is very nice), as well as Princton Teck Shockwave backup lights and a UK SL3 LED.

The DR has a bit broader and fuller beam but the Shockwave comes in a a reasobably close and credible second for a lot less money. The UK SL3 has a similar output but in a more focused beam. And the latter lights both cost around $60.

IN terms of bright white LED performance, it doubles abotu every 18 months so a new light will tend to be much improved over an older light, even of the same model. And large companies will tend to have bleedng edge electronics in their lights while secondary companies that get their parts from the larger ones will have older less efficient technology, even though they make package it in a higher end body.

Lights are things you really want to try out at least in the store before you buy one.

I own a pair of Princeton Tec MiniWav LED lights.
The first is a 175 lumen version that is a couple of years old.
The second the 337 lumen version is less than 1 year old.
Comparing these 2 versions the nearly doubled output of the newer is immediately obvious both on the surface and underwater. Comparing a 500 lumen HID or halogen you'll notice the difference in the color of the light. The spectrum from the LED seems to be much more pearcing and the light better focused.
Also to be considered is the size and weight of the lights. The Miniwav LED is a 4 cell light compared to the Shockwave or light cannon which are an 8 cell lights.
If longer battery life is an overwhelming consideration I'd still pick LED over HID or halogen and stay with the budget Princeton Tec Shockwave LED with 8 cells and 400 lumen. If budget isn't a cosideration then a LED canister light would be on my shopping list.

Back
Top Bottom