HID vs LED: 500 LUMEN underwater kinetics vs 337 LUMEN princeton tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'd like your opinion on the whole issue of HID vs LED for a primary dive light (without concerns to cave diving / DIR). LED has come a looooong way in the last 5 years, and two models i am looking at today are the "underwater kinetics" light cannon and the "princeton tec" miniwave 2. ignoring the $50 difference in price ... which of these two lights has the best

1) ergonomics

2) optics

3) longevity

4) build quality

I never saw UK light but take one dive with princeton.
+ very bright (in bad vis much more brigther than my Mini Vega RC halogen 450lm!!!)
+ easy to held
+ long time of working

- on/off button seems to be brake not for long time. it's made not very well..

And as far as i know you are not able to on/off HID quickly. How much cost bulb for HID?
I think LED is future. They took little power from accu and have long living time

i'd like your opinion on the whole issue of HID vs LED for a primary dive light (without concerns to cave diving / DIR). LED has come a looooong way in the last 5 years, and two models i am looking at today are the "underwater kinetics" light cannon and the "princeton tec" miniwave 2. ignoring the $50 difference in price ... which of these two lights has the best

1) ergonomics

2) optics

3) longevity

4) build quality

I depends in part on where you will be diving but between those two I'd pick the Light Cannon for sure. According to the Princton Tec website the Miniwave II has an output of 80 lumens. Most small led backup lights have twice that output.

The Light Canon has an output of 450 lumens and since it's HID it's a nice focused beam. I've had a LC for several years and have several hundred dives on it with no problems.

The bulbs if taken care off can last up to 1,000 hours. If you do have to replace it they are expensive however ($100). Once you turn it off you can't turn it back on for a few minutes.

I think led's are the future as well and have a bright led light as well but between the two you've mentioned I could only recommend the LC.

Whether you need a 10 W HID just depends on what you're diving conditions are like. There are much brighter led lights out there.

so it just depends again on what conditions he will be diving in.
rakpix:
for a primary dive light (without concerns to cave diving / DIR
So i think LED will be better :blinking:
And finally best way to choise something is price. I think price on UK HID will be much more bigger.

So i think LED will be better :blinking:
And finally best way to choise something is price. I think price on UK HID will be much more bigger.

He has posted that the difference is only $50.

He mentions that this is not for cave diving but he doesn't mention his water conditions. If the viability is limited he may prefer HID with it's greater penetrating ability or not...

First of all, everything posted is merely theoretical since we don't know exactly what conditions you are diving in.

I've been diving with a diver using a Light Cannon, it's an alright light but when we went the switch went to hell on her, leaving us with only my Pelican Aquaking 4100. It was pleasantly bright, even in murky Lake Travis, but I have switched to a DiveRite LED 700 canister light which is even more focused with higher output and it uses AA batteries.

Compared to my Aquaking, tho, the Light Cannon looks like someone dropped a Lexus underwater, loads of light. Just beware of that HID bulb, those things are finicky. That's why I went with the LED 700, along with all the other bennies that canister lights bring. DGE still has them for $500, which IMO is a great deal for a beginner can light. Also, the Goodman handle frees up a hand to do other stuff with. I was in love the first time I took it night diving here on Oahu with my camera.

I understand that you aren't looking to go cave, but I really do enjoy the way a canister light performs and think you will be impressed as well. And while it is a lot more change than you may be willing to fork out, I urge you to take a look at it.

Peace,
Greg

no guys, i'm not talking about the shockwave, or the 80 lumen miniwave II. a new version of the miniwave is rated at 337 lumens ... as stated in my thread title. Princeton Tec, NEW 337 Lumens Miniwave LED

actually kanonfodr, lake travis is where i'll be diving soon! off windy point and down by the dam. however, i'm looking for a light that i can take down to bonaire, fiji, or the flower gardens and will perform as a night dive / deep dive light, then take to lake travis to penetrate that awful visibility (i know ... visibility is over-rated, lol).

so, considering what i'm looking at MOST importantly is VALUE (performance per $$$) and second most importantly is versatility (ability to perform in both terrible-vis lake travis and tropical night dives) .... what is scubaboard's opinion on the 500 lumen underwater kinetics vs 337 lumen princeton tec.

and no way i'm dishing out 300-500 one one light. not yet ... not until the DIR/HOG/CAVE divers inevitably change me. i'm looking to spend < $200 for a primary + backup + emergency/strobe, either HID or LED, more specifically starting with either the UK or PT lights mentioned in my original post. thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom