HID Lights Handheld vs Handsfree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapimp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
New Member would like to add my $0.02 worth

UK LC great entry level HID (high intensity discharge) light. There have been a great number of problems associated with the LC from flooding, to a very delicate HID bulb (that is $100 to replace).
There are many companies in the SCUBA market selling HID lights. The standard HID bulb wattages are 10W, 18W, 21W, 50W and 100W. Some companies advertise their 10W HID bulb systems as 40W HID's this is a bit of mis advertisment. The 10Watt HID bulb produces the equivalent of 40-50 Watts of Halogen light.
A couple of things to look for when you are ready to take the big step and spend some serious money around $1000 for a professional underwater lighting system is to take a good look at the product, the company, the warranty, the bulb replacement cost (usually all about the same $100 retail), and the features.

What is the light system constructed out of?
Aluminum? Aluminum and Saltwater do not play nice together (read OXIDATION)
Stainless Steel? I sometimes wonder if that is not an Oxymoron, and besides how much does it weigh?
PVC Pipe? Big and bulky
Nylon/Fiberglass composite? Light, durable and not at the mercy of the salt water

What is the companies Warranty? 60 days, 90 days, 1 year or Lifetime against manufacturers defects?:

What are the Features and Benefits of the product other than those already discussed?
Hand held or Hands FREE?
Mounting options? Hands Free, headmount, FFM mounts, DPV mounts, Wreck reel mounting?
Do you have to dismantle the system to charge the battery?
What is the recharge time? Overnight, 6 hours, 3.5 hours?
What is the depth rating on your system? huh? 300ffw 500ffw
How does the burn time compare to the Size ?

:confused:

I myself have dived many of the lights on the market from starter lights from Pelican, UK, Princeton Tec, Ikelite and the like all the way to the HID systems from DiveRite, Keldan, UK, Niterider, Halcyon and Sartek. I would like to dive the GreenForce it looks like an interesting lighting system. I have continuously owned NiteRider lighting systems since 1995 having had a variety of their lighting systems from handheld entry level to HID hands free professional level. In the rare instance that I have had an issue it has been quickly and happily resolved. I love southern California for the number of equipment manufacturers and the ease of accesibility to them.

I think you forgot one very nice light in HID.
Gilan, a small dutch manufacturer makes a very nice HID light too.
I use the Gilan Traveller umbilical now for about 2 months and still i'm impressed by it. It's very well designed, it looks very good, it's lightweight. Only regrets so far: I wish i've bought the Traveller Plus instead of the Traveller umbilical. The Plus offers the possibility to use it as a VERY small HID handheld. This possibility would have cost me Eur 134 more but it looing back that would have been worth it.

to check out this light see www.gilan.nl

I did not choose the Greenforce as it is switched on and off by turning on/off the total lighthead. The possible flooding when switching off scared me off. The Traveller is switched on/off by a electronic circuit making flooding impossible.

Furthermore in europe, esspecially on the continent the US-brands are not commonly available and expensive.

kobus

The Greenforce lights are triple O-ring sealed and it takes a long time to uncrew the lighthead for you to even flood it before you can even see the first O-Ring peak through.

In the first place you don't even have to turn it but a few turns to get it to turn on, I don't see how you can flood this light, it is totally sealed including the bulb.

Not many of you know this but the light head with the HID bulb in it can take a tremendous beating and still not damage the ballast and most importantly the expensive HID bulb. Try that with a Dive Rite or Halcyon Light, I don't think many can afford to.

Greenforce makes nice lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom