HID light selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

x2ego

Registered
Reaction score
I've been searching through past posts about HID cannister lights and have found that the Salvo 21 seems to be a winner in many regards. When I entered Salvo into the Yahoo search engine, I came up with this: http://www.batteryspace.com/browsep...t-with-9-Ah-NiMH-Battery---Smart-Charger.html

The price listed on this web page is $500 less than the price listed on the Salvo web site: http://www.salvodiving.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=2366

Are they selling used, rebuild, refurbished? The FAQ on their site says all products are brand new.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Err, no pun intended.

It is also $170 more than the same light straight from Salvo:

http://www.salvodiving.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=2427

If you are looking for the cheapest Salvo out there, there is a Sea Elite branded 10w Salvo for about $499. I think it is from Diver's Supply.

It is a fixed-beam light (narrow beam) but seems like the best deal going for a 10w HID.

Thanks for clearing this up. I should have seen this myself, but I think my eyes were giving out after reading so many posts about lighting systems. LOL

dsteding

"If you are looking for the cheapest Salvo out there, there is a Sea Elite branded 10w Salvo for about $499. I think it is from Diver's Supply"

Can't seem to find this after a search on the web. Have you got a link by any chance?

x2ego:
I've been searching through past posts about HID cannister lights and have found that the Salvo 21 seems to be a winner in many regards.

Salvo's 21W HID is a great light. I would not hesitate to recommend you take a look into it.

wunat:
Salvo's 21W HID is a great light. I would not hesitate to recommend you take a look into it.
Actually just finished my research and will be picking up this 21W. Lot's of good feedback on them.

to the Salvo 21 watt light is its length. My dive buddy and I cave dive alot and so the Salvo's light output is just great, what he has commented on is the length, that when it is on the back of his hand it crosses his wrist. Most of the time this isn't a problem, but sometime when we are squirming through tight restrictions it seem to restrict his hand movement. Last dive he reverted to his 10watt which allowed more wrist movement. I only have a 10 watt so I haven't experience the problem.
As far as durability the Salvo seems the most durable with the Brightstar Bulb & ballist. Certainly other manufacturer's make quality HID lights but durability has been a problem. Additionally, Salvo warrenties the light for 1 year. Others don't have such an all encompassing warranty.

metaldector:
to the Salvo 21 watt light is its length

Most 21w lights have a longer lighthead. Does your buddy have the remote head with the ballast in the can? When Salvo started making these, that shortened the lighthead considerably.

Back
Top Bottom