HID can light as makeshift strobe/using macro lens without external flash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 21wHID (with variable focus) instead of a strobe...I´m sure it´s not as good but I got my light for the same price as a strobe and I think it´s way more value for money (though of course I´m only playing around with a cybershot so ymmv)...the difference with vs. without the HID is like night and day....literally...

Here are a couple from my last Roatan trip using a Q40 with a diffuser on it. Just something to play around with.

I've been using my q-40 for a focus light, but getting hot spots. What are you using for a diffuser?

I used a piece of milk jug cut to fit snugly inside the lens housing. It made a world of difference in softening the hot spot. I also used an Ikelite PCm and had basically the same results. I made a tray and Loc-Line adjustable arm to hold it so I could aim and not have to worry about it while I had the close up lens on. It basically points straight down at the subject. fun to play with on real close up stuff. One day I'll have to grow up and get an external strobe!

Larry C:
I've been using my q-40 for a focus light, but getting hot spots. What are you using for a diffuser?

If your camera still requires sufficient, undiffused lighting to capture focus, you might prefer to try increasing the camera's shutter speed.

A focus light, when being on throughout the complete exposure sequence, falls into the ambient light category............any light that is "naturally" present within the composition. Ambient light is generally controlled by aperture and shutter. The longer the exposure, the more ambient light captured. Since the aperture also plays a major role in controlling the amount of strobe light captured, I'd leave it out of the equation in trying to control unwanted hot spots created by a continuously illuminating focus light.

Since shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light able to pass through the aperture during the shutter event, try bumping it up a bit, say faster than 1/125 sec. You should begin to see less of a hot spot effect. You can continue to increase shutter without affecting strobe light capture up to the maximum sync speed of your particular rig (varies by camera and strobe). A relatively fast shutter speed will begin to darken the background............"background" being any part of the composition not illuminated by strobe light.

btw another common "physical" diffusing technique for a mini q is to crumple up aluminum foil and place it over the reflector inside the focus light. Doing so will broaden and diffuse the light.

hth,
b

Good tips. Thanks, BobF, for the shutter speed info. I've been thinking about upping my shutter speed on macros anyway, as I've been having trouble with white-outs when I get my strobes too close. I shoot in rocks and kelp a lot, and positioning the strobes is always a challenge. Blackout or whiteout, or maybe tons of backscatter if the strobes are too close to the lens because the subject is in a hole? Thank goodness I have Rawshooter and PS to clean up the mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom