Hi y'all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BruceD2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings from Norfolk, Virginia. I'm relatively new (about 150 dives) and it's time to get my own reg ... struggling with buying used top quality vs. buying medium/entry level new. So far only tropical diving and that's probably the way it will stay. I use Sharkskin titanium and love it.

Welcome. If you buy used you’ll likely get it serviced at the start, so factor that into your cost comparison. What are you calling top quality? It’s your money, but I wouldn’t aim for one of those $1,500+ new reg.s personally.

Welcome. If you buy used you’ll likely get it serviced at the start, so factor that into your cost comparison. What are you calling top quality? It’s your money, but I wouldn’t aim for one of those $1,500+ new reg.s personally.
@drrich2 @Robert H. Diver Hi fellas- I guess for me "top quality" means something like a scubapro Mk25? The budget is not rigid. Not looking for latest & flashiest, but if I had tons of $$ I would certainly go for titanium on grounds of weight and corrosion-resistance. More interested in tried & true, bulletproof, but also travel-friendly. Yes, I'd certainly have used gear serviced before use! A lower end model would probably be fine for now, but then if I'm going to want something better in a year or 2, that would be a waste.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion -- that British fellow James with a zillion Youtube scuba videos recommended it too. But my LDS does not service DiveRite brand.

Given that you'll need periodic servicing, you'll want a model that at least one area dive shop will service. This will still probably leave multiple options.

There are threads debating various options; Atomic Aquatics vs. Scuba Pro, etc... I dive an Atomic Aquatics B2; I tend to avoid highest or lowest end, and the swivel sounded nice. When the 2nd stage cover came off and was missing in Bonaire, it took some doing to find one shop that could sell me another; when I had a 1st stage failure in Roatan, the dive shop at CocoView Resort couldn't fix it (they rented me another 1st stage). I suspect a ScubaPro regulator would be more likely to be serviceable by foreign dive op.s.

Some people like the Deep6 reg.s, because they make it easier to service yourself. I have no intention of doing that, but it's an option.

I took a quick look at Scuba.com; it seems there are a range of different regulators that fall under ScubaPro M25.

Richard.

P.S.: a used regulator might come with an octopus; a new regulator might be sold without one, so be mindful you might need to add that cost when price comparing.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion -- that British fellow James with a zillion Youtube scuba videos recommended it too. But my LDS does not service DiveRite brand.

Do you just have 1 LSD in your area? If so what do they sell/service?

I dive with an Atomic Aquatics B2. It regulator has a swivel and breathing effort is minimal at depth. Based on the Marketplace site, B2's are often available and sell fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom