Hi there, everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't there a song, "Coal Miner's Diver?"

Welcome to the best diving discussion board around! I look forward to your contributions!

Yeah! I do believe there's a song that goes something like that! lol And my hand right in front of my face was about all I got to see on the dive I made this weekend

~lildiver

Welcome from another lake and quarry diver in Missouri!

It is nice to meet other divers who understand what a brown out is and what a mud slide looks like underwater!

15 ft of vis is good vis in Missouri. It will make you green with envy to hear people on this board talking about diving the big blue everyday but lots of good information and good people.

Welcome aboard!

KC_scubabunny, thanks for the welcome. I got my OW cert in a "clear water" lake where a good day of diving was 15 - 20 ft viz. I've been to the big blue a few times and was spoiled in Cozumel :). But when the viz is between 3 & 5 ft, I'm thinking it's time to come up. But instead, I go deeper, hoping to get under the brown haze. When the thermocline gets to me, that's when I surface. lol

~lildiver

Ugh the Thermocline! Actually I do my best to stay above the thermocline. In the lake I dive there are no fish below the thermocline anyway. They are simply too smart to go down there.

I actually started diving in Cancun on vacation and then came back to Missouri and got certified. It was a rude awakening. I think having to deal with the elements and the cold makes us better divers. We definitely learn to live with task overload sooner!

Glad to have you here!

Greetings, bonjour, from Canada.

Hey Conch what part of Ontario did you come from?

Hi DivingGal,

Originally from Windsor. Been diving for 22 years. You?

Conch

Not that many years I'll tell you. Long enough to be able to tell stories of "now that was a stupid move, wasn't it" - like just last weekend on the last qualifying dive for my Navigation course, the team agreed on the plan, signaled to descend..... and nothing happened. You know you don't descend very far without a weight belt! Wait, wait it gets better. Just before this we had been doing a snorkeling exercise mapping out the buoys that we were about to navigate underwater. As there weren't too many people left at the dive site, we had locked some of our kit in our own vehicles (I put my weight belt there), but the BCD/tank were all but in a van. We got out, put our kit on, I locked my keys in someone's vehicle and jumped in. When I discovered my problem, and stopped laughing, I asked the last one on shore to help. He said sure, where are your keys? I replied, in your van, where are your keys? He started grinning -- with the diver that just descended! I had to wait until she noticed there was a problem, for her to ascend, stop laughing and pass the key over.
Saw them last night at the pool, and while getting ready to get in, she asked "now have you got everything this time". (geesh, friends) People around us couldn't understand why we were laughing so hard.

What did I learn? Buddy check all the time!

Diving Gal, your story of no weight belt made me laugh! Now I don't feel quite so dumb for forgetting a few "minor things". Thanks for sharing that!

~lildiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom