Hi-Tension Tank Cam Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used the Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band like: Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release

The reason I ask is that the cam bands on my wife's BC don't seem to tighten up very well.

One thing that is mentioned: the excessive pressure of the cam action may scratch the paint on tanks. Has anyone had a problem with this?

Thanks!
Richard

Has anyone used the Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band like: Highland Millworks Hi-Tension Tank Cam Band w/ Quick Release

The reason I ask is that the cam bands on my wife's BC don't seem to tighten up very well.

One thing that is mentioned: the excessive pressure of the cam action may scratch the paint on tanks. Has anyone had a problem with this?

I've never used the Highland bands, however the SCUBAPro straps work beautifully and if put on tight, will never loosen unexpectedly.

As far as scratching goes, the fabric strap won't scratch the tank (much), and there's a little tab that keeps the buckle from scratching the tank.

That said, no matter what you do, the tank will eventually get scratched where the strap is (as well as everywhere else).

Terry

Worry about the paint on your tank is understandable but ....If you tank is slipping you do not have the cam bands threaded right,
Aloha Shore Divers Explanation of How to thread A cam Band

or you need to get a new rubber thingie: Ocean Quest Rubber Shim

That said, working a ScubaPro shop is always cool because swapping the gear on the boat is so much easier. Except when the tank size changes and then you hate life. It looks like that solution is the best of both worlds

Thanks!
Richard

HI Richard. We have sold quite a few of these Highland Cam Band Straps, and almost everyone love them because they completely eliminate tank slip. The buckle on these straps have a higher "lift" than most straps. This is why they tighten so much when you snap them down. There is a concern about minor scratching and marring from the hight lift cam on the straps. But, cylinders are going to get little beats and bangs anyway, and this strap certainly eliminates tank slip.

If you decide to give them a try, like everything we sell....if you don't like it.....send it back! Thanks.

Phil Ellis

The Highland looks like a copy of the Beuchat cam strap. The Beuchat will not slip if the strap is pulled tight initially before folding over the cam buckle. After the strap is pulled, folding over the cam is extremely easy and nothing slips. In fact, it is almost too easy. Given that, it would be only a step away for someone to notice that and say "ahah" let's try a cam with higher step on the turnover. I imagine this would help women who cannot pull the strap tight enough before pulling the cam over. That action would be easier than the initial pull simply because it is definitive. When the cam rolls over one knows it is tight enough, even if the strap was not pulled super tight before that.

Stofer, when tanks stand on their own it is tempting to try to mount the BCD in the vertical. Tell her to slip on the BCD and then lay the tank down on top of the air bag. Brace herself with her legs and pull up on the strap, then slip the strap through the slot and pull on the tag end of the fabric while rolling over the buckle. Might save you 30 bucks.

I have some rubber wedges, https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=43, which make the tank slip-free. Only one per BCD is needed. It compresses a bit, so that your band doesn't have to be as exactly adjusted. Actually holds more securely, with less tension. Since I've started using one, I don't bother to wet my webbing before securing the tank. Two for $10. My local dive shop carries them, but I didn't see that before I ordered them online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom