Hi if you're a diver i need your help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
If you are a diver or if you have any diving experience please spare a few minutes of your time and fill up this survey. Its for my thesis.It has 4 sections, please answer all the questions. Also, please share with your diver/experienced friends. Thank you so much!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NYD8D5C

Stupid survey. First page,

icon_validation_error.gif
This question requires an answer.

3. Nationality & Ethnicity

t.gif
Nationality & Ethnicity Maldivian
t.gif
Malaysian
t.gif
Malaysian Chinese
t.gif
Malaysian Indian
Other (please specify)

Won't bother going further.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2015 at 05:30 PM ----------

Didn't paste all that was there. I had put info in the box for other...

This needs work. You need an "other" button to enable answers other than the choices you offer. Attempting to enter data other than preselected answers incurs an error message asking me to answer the question.

This needs work. You need an "other" button to enable answers other than the choices you offer. Attempting to enter data other than preselected answers incurs an error message asking me to answer the question.

Thats because i need specific data to analyze.

I gave fake answers, just to get through the errors and see what the questions were.
The survey is aimed at question #14, which provides the OP's point-of-view on marine life and conservation.
It is clear what that point of view is, and that the respondent ought to agree.

The OP could get just as much info by simply stating his point of view, and asking who agrees or disagrees? The resulting thread would be pretty interesting!

As an unbiased survey, it sucks. For a thesis, it sucks. And as constructed, it sucks.

Sorry. Good luck with your thesis program.

As an unbiased survey, it sucks. For a thesis, it sucks. And as constructed, it sucks.

"Other than that, Mrs Lincoln... how'd you like the play?"

---------- Post added May 18th, 2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

Thats because i need specific data to analyze.

He's telling you that when someone selects "Other" by putting in something other than the four listed, the survey won't let you proceed. Are those the only four nationalities you're interested in? If so, should be the first question, and bounce everyone but those four.

Similarly, question 5 doesn't allow for "Other" to be an answer. I put "Instructor" but it's telling me I need to select an answer.

Q8 and Q9 should allow multiple responses.

I can't answer question 11, because my last trip was 14 days... but the question maxes at 10 days.

Q12 - again, "Other" is not allowed as a choice. If you only want Maldives and Malaysia divers... screen for that up front. I answered "Maldives" and then put "Mars" for other... which the system happily accepted. (Telling you this so you'll know which one is mine, to delete my responses.)

Q14 - uses inappropriate Likert scale ratings.

You can't have "questions" and then ask respondents to rate range of agreement:

"Do you wear gloves during your dives?"
- Strongly disagree
- Disagree
- Neutral
- Agree
- Strongly Agree

You're asking a question... what is a respondent agreeing or disagreeing with? Should be "How often do you wear gloves" and then offer "Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Often, Always" or similar.

You're gonna have a hard time with your thesis. (I always counseled grad students to vet any survey instruments with their advisor BEFORE fielding... saves a lot of effort for naught.)

Last edited:
I did my best to complete the survey. There are some technical errors in the survey, as mentioned already. You mentioned you are looking for specific data, however I question the accuracy of the data that will result. When I'm guiding my students I recommend they are careful in how they order the questions as it affects how the respondent thinks in context of the question. Here is a document that might help you: http://oqi.wisc.edu/resourcelibrary/uploads/resources/Survey_Guide.pdf Though you need to fix some of the basics before this will be helpful. The part on analyzing data should help you decide how useful your current survey is. Cheers and best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom