Hi Gang! Mirrored and tinted lense Q`s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My name is Sandy and I am a SeaCraft freak. Just started on hookas 5 years ago and got certified 2 yrs ago. Love chasing bugs and imagine a spear gun is in my future.

Need to get a new mask and saw this at Fl Freedivers last week. Great fit, but am wondering if mirror lens coating is an advantage in hunting

SEADIVE CatEye Rayblocker Anti-Fog/Glare Diving Mask Scuba Black Skirt NEW

Cheers,
GFS

My daughter and I each have one of these and the big advantage of them is on the surface and sun glare or more accurately the reduced glare in our eyes...that's about it.

Underwater the tint was not as pronounced and I would believe that your prey would still associate the lens as predator eyes on the front of your head...large predator eyes...just like any other mask.

But they look really cool :D

Thanks Oldbear. they do look cool.
The fit is what I love most. My cheapo wally mart us divers leaks tons and I am tired of clearing every minnow

I've seen several reasons why spearo's use tinted masks. One thought is that if the fish can't see you looking at them, they're less likely to spook. (of course until you shoot at them..)

Another is that fish may come closer to see their reflection in your mask. I see this with seals and dolphins and my video lens port - not sure if fish have the same intelligence.

One downside to consider - depending on the tint/reflection your buddy may not be able to see your eyes u/w. Probably more important in an emergency.

Or when your eyes get big as you see the bull shark sneaking up behind him/her to take their fish...lol.

I had thought about the safety issue, and how did you know I am afraid of bull sharks?

I also get unsettled when GG look at me like I`m a canapé.

Also wondered if a bug may see another bug and want to play.

Back
Top Bottom