Hi from SF Bay area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bclem

Reaction score
What a fun group! I've been enjoying browsing the posts, and gleaned some really good info already about my trip this Thursday (2/21/02)to Cancun. I can't wait, as I haven't done any really warm water diving yet. I haven't seen much in here from SF bay area people yet, maybe we don't get to Cancun much.

Anybody know a good web site for a faq on diving there? I have silly questions that only a warm water novice would ask, such as:

Do I bring my cold water flippers and booties?

Can I get by with just a 7mm top and a dive skin?

Do the dive boats have weights I can put into the pouches in my weight belt?

How do I find out if the dive boats at the different shops are bigger than a rowboat (remind me to tell you about the dive boat capsizing(with me on it) and sinking off Zehuatenejo a few years ago).

This time of year are the boats booked up so I need a reservation way in advance or can I call after I get down there?

So many questions, so little time! I guess I'll wing it, unless I hear back from someone in the next two days.

Kampai, Bill

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you will have all of those questions and more answered before this time tomorrow. Have fun on your trip and let us know how it went.

You're not a 49er fan are you? If so, I'll say I'm sorry for you in advance for the whippin my Seahawks are gonna give you next year now that we are in the same division! LOL!

:whip:

Later, Hawk.

Hello from Canada - and welcome aboard.

I think there's at least a couple of us on the board from the SF Bay area. I live in SF itself and took my course from Bamboo Reef. I've turned into a warm water weenie recently, though I'm thinking of doing the Channel Islands at some point.

Have fun in Coz! Cold water booties and fins work just fine. No need to waste money on any others.

-Simon

Hello from Kingston Ontario Canada. Welcome to the Scuba board, hope you enjoy the forum. don't be afraid to ask questions..

Hope all your days are wet ones, or dry depending on how you dive.

Dive safe. dive often.
Barry

Bclem Welcome to the board good to have you aboard. Here's some quick answers to some of your questions:

Do I bring my cold water flippers and booties? Yes!

Can I get by with just a 7mm top and a dive skin? sure but you my look like this guy :fury:, just kiddin' 7mm might make you alittle warm and a dive skin would surely be to cold. You should consider getting a 3mm shorty or 3mm full wetsuit depending on you tolerance for the cold, or you could get a rental (which I wouldn't recommend you never know what the guy ahead of you did to that thing) But if any of these aren't a option for you then you should beable to get by in your 7mm shorty, you'll just be alittle warm.

Do the dive boats have weights I can put into the pouches in my weight belt? There the cheap soild lead kind but sure you still can put them in your belt

How do I find out if the dive boats at the different shops are bigger than a rowboat ?I personally like the smaller much, much faster boats as I think alot of people do, I wouldn't rule them out! the larger slower boats are usally crammed with people and take twice as long to get two the dive sites!

This time of year are the boats booked up so I need a reservation way in advance or can I call after I get down there?No reservations will be needed at most places, If you have a certain op you what to use then you might want to call ahead to besure.

Heres and good website with lots of info regarding that area of mexico. http://www.travelnotes.cc/
Oh and be sure to take the ferry over to vist Cozumel for a dive and some great chow.

Chillywill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom