Hi, first try on the OLY C5060WZ

Grade the pix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaPencil

Reaction score
That's my 1st try on Olympus C5060WZ @ AUR M'SIA DivingTrip. Shallow water 11.6m, good day light & visibility @ 15m far sight. Gliding for about 6 mins, spotted a well posed LIZARD fish lying on sand. Quick snap at the same eye level. GOT it! Freeze its grin with MACRO, F4.8, speed 1/60 sec, without flash, color profile sRGB. Tried on 4 frames n posted the best 4th shot. Jpeg/ HQTY resolu/ no color correction done. Hope u like it or let me have your thought.
Thank you and good day.
Best regards,
SeaPencil
O
o
o
o

Looking good SP...
For the first time out, you got a good shot...
Now it's just practice, practice, practice... an get a strobes or keep the flash on for close ups like that, it "Paints" the colors. Beleive the camera's flash is good for about 2-3' (1 meter?)

Thanks fpoole, will look into the market for a suitable strobe for oly 5060 model.
Do u use a TTL connection or fibre optic between camera n strobe?
Best Regards,
SeaPencil

SeaPencil:
Do u use a TTL connection or fibre optic between camera n strobe?
Best Regards,
SeaPencil

I've got the Tetra which doesn't have the TTL..., it had a Wet plug that does connect directly into the C4040, not an optic fiber... changing the wet plugs to Dry so the strobes will fire all the time... wet plugs are krap...

TTL is hard to find now adays.. typically on the Oly PT015 housing it's not available as the connection is Fiber Optic with a velcro patch and the strobe acts like a "Slave" in a sense.

You just get used to shooting certain distances at certain power settings.. I'm not up to date on the current strobes, have old ones, but most have 1/2 stop settings so you can really fine tune it... Luckily, being digital, you an see right away if you "Fried a Fish" or can't find it in the darkness... it's just a matter of practicing ...

Strobes:
Depends upon what you need and how Much $$ you want to spend.. the Sea & Sea YS25 -50?- 90 and now the new inon stobes (not new in Japan, just here) are, IMNSHO, the ones to look at...

Try using the cameras flash and you'll see how far it will go... probably could have lit up part of you lizard fish... it's easy and will certainly help.. as the camera will controll the light intake..

Hope that helps...

You don't need a strobe to get great results. I have the Oly 5050 and no external strobe yet. I know several others have taken lots of photos without an external strobe with excellent results.

Just get within range (more or less 3 feet or so) and fire away!

External strobes are great, but I think you will be impressed with what you already have :)

BTW - cute lizard...

Thanks fpoole, that's really help. I've visited two of your website, cool!
Nice to know you and appreciate your input. Catch up with u again!
Best Regards,
SeaPencil

Hi Alcina, thanks for your advice. When u switch to super-Macro instead of Macro, does your oly5050 internal flash shoot? Have a nice day.
Best Regards,
SeaPencil

No problem SP, as Alcina said, you can do quite well with the camera's flash..
and especailly with the macro and super macro... the 5050 is terrific for that...
Good luck with the photos, keep on shooting...

ps. thanx for the comments on the web sites...
see you round the campus...

SeaPencil:
Hi Alcina, thanks for your advice. When u switch to super-Macro instead of Macro, does your oly5050 internal flash shoot? Have a nice day.
Best Regards,
SeaPencil
You have to change the mode to Slave, I believe. This will also, if I have read things right, let you control the light by choosing 1 - 10 value (or maybe it's 12?). Anyway, have seen several shots in supermacro with slave 10 setting that are great. I haven't used supermacro yet...too lazy so far!

I'm new too. There are several posts on white balance that have helped me since I don't have a strobe. Colors now are not so far off that they can't be helped with a little editing. My first pics were monochrome blue/green before using white balance. The internal flash is good for close ups and white balance for more distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom