Hi color temp MR 16 bulbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your looking for a sunlight temp (6500K) to match an HID light, I don't think you will have much luck. Most I have been able to find is about 4500-5000K and those are special order. By over driving the bulb you can boost the color temp, which looks like you are going to do. I don't recommend this, It will greatly shorten the life and it makes the bulbs over heat and they can explode.

I have been over driving this bulb for a while now with no problems. They say 10% more voltage shortens life by 90% so a 10000 hour bulb becomes 1000hrs. even 100hrs is acceptable to me. Heat has not been a problem.
A freind had his D400(?) UK Xenon 18watt and it was a nicer light than mine so I would like to get something similar. It seemed to cut thru the water better with a whiter light 4500-5000k would be nice

Check GE's commercial lighting pages.
They have a large line of MR16 bulbs.

The second pdf (tungsten bulb nomograph from Gilway) has some good info on color temp vs. voltage.

The pdf from GE is another manufacturer's point of view. They both agree that 10% overvoltage is a reduction in life of about a factor of 3, and increase in light output of about 40%.

Attachments

• GE Bulb info.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 92
  • tungsten bulb nomograph.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 253

Back
Top Bottom