Hi! Best BC to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people learn on a Jacket BC since they're the standard for rental fleets worldwide. Many people buy one because it feels the same - floats them high and vertical on the surface. Most people who later buy a back-inflate BC find them more functional - less cluttered in front. Of all the people I know, only one person decided it wasn't for her and switched back. Casey ^ being an exception. I think even he'd admit he has a bias though since that's all he sells - that's what Scubapro Platinum means.

You might look at a Scubapro Knighthawk also. I think they're a little cheaper. Direct competition for it is the Zeagle Ranger. I actually went to my dealer to buy a Knighthawk but came home with a Ranger. It fit better and I liked the Ripcord - one pull dumps both front pockets. You'll notice on just about every other BC made you have to pull each side individually. My weighting is 60/40 so pulling both at the same time just starts you up in a hurry but not uncontrollably - as long as you're also venting air continuously.

Where do you plan to dive? Locally, warm water destinations? or both? Each has different weighting/lift needs. For mostly travel look at the above mentioned Zuma, a Scubapro Lighthawk or Zeagle's Covert. You'll notice they lack pockets, d-rings, larger bladders with more lift and possibly some comfort features like lumbar pads etc. Since you don't need as much for warm water/light or no wetsuit diving. They also pack a lot smaller, you roll the Covert up like a newspaper. I believe the Zuma has a drawstring bag also.

The Classic has a lot of lift - 58-67lbs. in the larger sizes. Most people who dive in the tropics use a 24 lb. wing or less. You don't need that much lift - more importantly the bulk unless you plan to lift small anchors with your BC also. In cold water, with enough weight to counter-balance your 7MM - or more wetsuit - it's not a bad idea - since you could be carrying 30lbs. or so. Plus the tank weight when full - compressed air weighs something.

A reasonable compromise for both conditions is something like a Zeagle Stiletto - it will have the needed lift (35#) for most cold water diving yet packs smaller for travel. I once managed to cram one into a airline legal sized carry on (14x22") but no room for much else. Since my fins are 26" not much point either. The trade-off with it is it's a single tank model only.

I don't follow Aqualung at all but I'm sure they have all the same options.

Last edited:
Without any intent to be offensive at all, I will tell you that dive shops love people who say, "I want a top-of-the-line BC.". It means that they can upsell you to the most expensive and highest profit margin equipment they have in the store -- which may (or more likely will not) suit your needs.

What you really WANT in a BC is one that will do the job YOU need it to do. It HAS to fit, or the tank won't be stable on your back, and a wobbly tank is a great annoyance. To that end, BCs that don't include some kind of rigid stabilizer in their construction are less than optimal. It has to have enough lift for your application, which is fairly small for tropical diving, and greater for cold water, but not too much lift, so that the air bladder is too big and hard to vent. It should easily permit the use of whatever weight system you prefer -- many people like weight integration, although I do not. If the BC is weight-integrated, it MUST have trim pockets, preferably reasonably high on your back, so that you can counter the inevitable feet-down tendency of having all your weight low on your body. The BC should have enough attachment points that you can clip off several things, like your pressure gauge or console, and one or more lights, but a plethora of D-rings is neither necessary nor useful. Fancy stitching and color may make something look nicer, but adds nothing to functionality, and will fade and lose its attraction fairly quickly in tropical sun and salt.

Over time, other things become pertinent, like how easy it is to repair or service the gear. Do you have to take it in to a shop to get it serviced? You will, if you use the Air2 type system, or if the BC uses some kind of inflator that you can't easily replace or work on. Some BCs cannot have the air bladder repaired -- if you get a hole in it, you replace the entire unit. Similarly with worn straps -- on most BCs, it isn't easy to repair or replace a single worn piece. If you dive ten times a year or less, this probably won't bother you much, but if you dive actively, you have to think about how you are going to fix things, because salt water and boats are hard on gear.

The difference in price between, for example, a simple backplate setup and a top-of-the-line BC, can buy you a very nice dive light, or several days of charter fees.

You asked so, I'd agree with the Scubapro Classic.

I just completed my advanced certification and looking for peak buoyancy and having real trouble with my Mares Prime BC trying to level off and stay horizontal. I find myself with the weight distribution of 3 in pockets and 1 lb in the trim constantly adding and taking away to level off. I have been looking at ScubaPro x-tec which is quite expensive.

I do a lot of wreck dives and keeping streamlined is quite important. Do you know any more economical options that will get me into and through my technical training

Back
Top Bottom