Hi All

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
OK now that you all know I can stir up the pot, let me tell you a story. I went to Kona last year to be certified but found the pressure to perform and the pressure being under all that water was just to over whelming for me. I passed the written with flying colors and I can do the required tasks but just couldn't stay down. That was when I discovered snorkeling. I also discovered the beauty of Kona. I really want to try again this summer because photography is my favorite hobby and I want to get down there. After reading your board for sometime, I realized I am not alone. I work for a cool company that believes learning is fun and the CEO is big on scuba diving. Since I tried to learn at a resort do any of you think if I went through the program again with a longer format, I could finally manage the DEEP? I would love to hear from others who have simular experiences and mastered the art of diving.
Thanks for your ear.

When you say couldn't stay down do you mean physically or psychologically? Believe me, if freaking out is what you mean you can't come up with anything I haven't already freaked about:)

I went through a 10 week (20 hour classroom, 20 hour pool) course at the university and had to do an extra day of open water diving to get comfortable enough to earn my c-card. If I can do it, so can you! I would definitely recommend a longer course, the more time you have to work in the pool the more comfortable you get. The more comfortable you are, the easier diving gets. I now help with the class that I took almost 9 years ago, hopefully I will finish my instructor training in the spring. My main job is to work with the "panicky" students because I've "been there" and know exactly what they're feeling. Find an instructor you're comfortable with who is willing to take the time to work with you if the tendency to panic is an issue. I dove with a co-worker who had about 20 more dives than me but hadn't been in the water for 5 years. We went to a shallow quarry and he panicked on me. We floated in the water for 2 HOURS going up and down in about 5 feet of water talking about what he was feeling and why when he would panic and try to bolt for the surface. We worked through his panic then went for a nice shallow dive.

Good luck! And welcome to the board!

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But they never will forget how you made them feel."

Ber :bunny:

Barb, Definely go back and take a longer course. IMHO the best way to learn is at a slow pace so that you learn the skills, not just be able to repeat them a time or two. The weekend classes, unfortunately, have gotten to be the norm but if you can take a class at a slower pace with plenty of pool time you'll probably do just fine.

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
...."People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But they never will forget how you made them feel."

That is SO true! As a DM, the students rarely remember what I did or said to get them through a problem area, but they remember that feeling of accomplishment when it was all over!

Thanks! Heels aren't real practical on a dive boat though, even the Nekton Pilot was unsteady!

So, do you actually dive in Ohio or save that for warmer waters?

A friend provided that quote, don't know where he got it but I liked it well enough to write it down!

Don't feel bad. My best diving buddy couldn't swim and was scared to death of the water. He learned to swim before taking scuba but it took him two times through the class to get certified but now he is a fish. He is a very good diver today.

Stay with it and god luck,

Scott=-)

Ber - I do dive in Ohio - in fact it is the only place I have dived so far. (Had two other trips planned this fall to the east coast but things fell through - work keeps getting in the way)There is a local twin quarry south of Columbus in Circleville where I dive (it's about 20 minutes from my house) - and I plan to go to a couple of the quarries near Toledo next spring/summer for my AOW. Eventually I would love to dive Lake Erie too - may have to get a drysuit for that experience.

Snorkelbarb,

I am from Arcadia, can throw a stone into Monrovia. The LDS I use is the Dolphin Dive Shop at Santa Anita and Duarte. They have some excellent instructors that might be able to help you out.

I can tell you're on the way to become addicted! As Dee said
"Definely go back and take a longer course. IMHO the best way to learn is at a slow pace so that you learn the skills, not just be able to repeat them a time or two. The weekend classes, unfortunately, have gotten to be the norm but if you can take a class at a slower pace with plenty of pool time you'll probably do just fine

Take the time to learn and practice the skills, your local LDS (IMHO) is likely to approach your training with a longer investment in mind. Get you trained, you'll keep coming back for more training, more equipment etc.

OH yes, welcome to one of the best places to spend your SI.... a warm hello from Ottawa, Canada

from cold Ontario, Canada...................nothing to add snorkelbarb, but to keep trying with an instructor who will work with you at your own pace and withwhom you are comfortable...........:p

Back
Top Bottom