Hi & a Question on gas switching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chesty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New to scubaboard, love diving and looking to take the next step to advanced deco. I have an Oceanic VT4 which I can program to switch gas in the water. BUT if I switch the computer to say 100% O2 at 6M but I don't have a transmitter on the new gas tank will the computer continue to calculate the deco obligation or do I need to buy additional transmitters?

Thanks for the reply so I can still make he change on wrist computer to 100% O2 and it will still calculate the deco time even though not connected to another transmitter?

You know most tech divers I know research their deco before hand and either cut tables for the specific dive or have other preplanned dive table ready. Then they execute with with a simple bottom timer rather than fuss with computers.

The computer's calculation of deco obligation is independent of any transmitters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is what I wanted to know so a huge thank you.

i know many tech divers who use slates/tables and timers but really why wouldn't a computer that is working on real figures and algorithms be just as good? Use slates with times as a back up to a failed computer?

Because it's all based on models. Models that maybe be more or less like you. How close do you want to trim to that margin is up to you. Is it really worth the extra risk to get out of the water 1-2 or maybe even 5 mins sooner? Personally I like having my deco be easy to remember and also easy to execute. That way when $hit hiss the shan you can still execute despite being under stress.

Its all about what happens whe the computer dies and "what do you do then". Take a look at ratio deco and do some studying on how it works. In a while you will find out the pros and cons of the process.

This is what I wanted to know so a huge thank you.

i know many tech divers who use slates/tables and timers but really why wouldn't a computer that is working on real figures and algorithms be just as good? Use slates with times as a back up to a failed computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom