Hi-8 video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to video and am looking for information as to how I can download or transfer Hi-8 video into a computer to edit for video clips or stills.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
HK

I have not used one of these ==> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=412351 but I have used many other peripheral devices from Adaptec. An option that would cost a bit more money, but gets you a new camcorder, is to buy a digital video (DV) camcorder that has analog inputs. That would allow you to dub your tapes back to video tape. (Buying a digital camcorder is perhaps not a reasonable option, unless your computer already has a Firewire port, or unless the DV camera you buy has analog and USB input/output. I'll assume that your computer has a USB port... perhaps not the new USB 2.0, but at least USB 1.0. Data transfer rates would just suck via USB 1.0. Videos are HUGE files!)

FYI - Editing video on your computer takes LOTS of drive space. Expect to be buying a new large drive.

Just from my limited knowledge I know you have to have a DVD-RW drive and editing SW. Thats to burn it to a DVD after editing. I guess someone could have a reason to put it back on tape after editing I'm just not sure if it can be done.

Act like your in the market to buy a computer and call DELL and tell them what you want to do. They will surely tell you what you need.

Good Luck and let me know what you figure out so I can do it also.

:)

Hi-8 transfer to computer for editing turns out very poor quality in the long run, even if it is done properly through a capture card using a decent editing program.

What kind of computer do you have? The best way to go if you want to get into editing your underwater video, is to research and figure out what kind of software you want to use and from that it will help you figure out the best computer configuration. If you already have a computer you wish to use, then research the software based on it.

Raw video consumes lots of hard drive space. You can get 9 minutes of video onto 1 Gig of hard drive space, when you start adding transitions and sound, it consumes even more. There are lots of users groups on the web for different types of editing software.

Good luck

How much do you want to spend, How good does it need to be and how fast do you want to do it.

Here's a link to to a Matrox product and no there not the only one and I'm not specificly suggesting them but it's an example

http://matrox.com/video/products/rt2500/home.cfm

As far as your computer this is one place if you want to get into editing buy the fastest workstation (graphics workstation - read high end box dual processor capable, high end graphics options, options for SCSI raid CTRL and lots of room for additional drives both internal and external) not your normal home desktop toy box. (read Dell, Gateway, Presario or Pavilion et, etc....) With ultra 160 scsi min better yet ultra 320. If the box doesn't have room for at least 3 internal drives look into external storage beter yet with hot swap drives. If you have a large fast internal hard drive then you can x-fer the video to the internal drive edit then send it back to a slower external storage system, would also sug a raid ctrl running raid 0 for performance and a tape backup for fault tol.

You might check out this link for Pinnacle there another top name brand for video
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/default.asp?Langue_id=2

Geek

PS had to run sorry could post more indepth details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom