Hey You Shutter Bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gene02

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so I am new to diving and even newer to underwater photography. I have a Kodak ZD710 ok lower end digital camera. I have been looking for underwater housing and it seems no one makes housing for Kodak is this true or am I just looking in all the wrong places? If anyone has any ideas let me know also if know, I would be surprised that Kodak has know following they have been making cameras since my dad had his first camera.

Ikelite made a housing for a couple of models. Yours is not one of them. Otherwise, you can get one of those plastic bag with a lens port type housings. You're better off getting a camera that has a housing available and is commonly used underwater. Canon A series can be had for a couple of hundred dollars for the camera and another hundred some odd for the housing. If you're a new diver, get completely comfortable with your buoyancy, emergency procedures and buddy procedures before you add the stress of trying to take pictures underwater. I'd recommend waiting till you get your advanced cert before you think about taking a camera with you.

Larry is correct. New divers are rarely capable of smoothly handling the task loading that a camera entails. You will burn through your air more quickly, possibly damage a fragile underwater environment, and take lousy pictures. While I myself wouldn't choose AOW as the benchmark for camera-readiness, the sentiment is correct--you should be able to effortlessly maintain neutral buoyancy before you attempt it.

Thanks for the advice Larry, I am sure it will be a few month before I get another camera. I am trying to convince my wife I need a D60 I worked on her for a long time for D40 about the time I get her to go for it they came out with the D60. I agree with buoyancy I still have problems with that. I am suppose to pickup my new wet suite tomorrow then I get to start all over with the weight thing. But it sure would be nice to grab a few pics while bobbing around LOL

Just be aware that if you go the DSLR path you will need big bucks and the camera and housing are bulky. DSLR is the route to professional photos but the learning curve can be steep. The cost of the camera is just a fraction of what you will need for a complete setup. My daughter went the DSLR route and ended up spending about $4K for the housing, strobes, arms, etc. A very good point and shoot with manual capabilities will cost you a fraction of what a DSLR system costs and will give you great pictures. I use the Sea&Sea DX-1G and my entire setup including two strobes, a wide angle lens, Arms, etc cost about $1800. I bought the strobes used off of ebay for a very nice price.

I also agree that buoyancy skills are critical to getting a good pics. Trying to adjust your camera settings, and get your object in focus while in a current or with no current can be a challenge.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the advice. I will be looking for a cheep way to do UW photos, I am sure the quality of my photos are going to take a while as my stability UW will take some time.

Thanks for the advice. I will be looking for a cheep way to do UW photos, I am sure the quality of my photos are going to take a while as my stability UW will take some time.
I agree with the hammerhead man that for professional quality photos, a housed DSLR is the way to go. It should be noted, though, that [-]many[/-] most photographers who have undertaken that hassle and expense still don't get professional-caliber photos. My gallery can serve as exhibit A in that regard. Conversely, there are some divers with point-and-shoots that do get exceptional photos. NWGratefulDiver and Ed_Dman, I think, off the top of my head--there are others. So I wouldn't say that you need a housed DSLR to get great photos, but you do need good dive skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom