Hey guys! New from Atlanta...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, I'm not sure how prevalent trim pockets on various brands/models of jacket BCDs, but make sure if you get one, it's got them. A lot of people tend to be 'foot heavy,' which interferes with horizontal trim while diving. Moving some of your lead weight up your body can help correct that. Of course, lead in rear trim pockets is likely not ditchable in the event of an emergency. I also wear rather light fins (Deep 6 Eddy fins with spring straps), also helpful with the dreaded 'sink foot' (yeah, I must made that up).

Opinions on weight belts vary. I'm chunky, so shaped a bit like a bowling pin, thickest round the gut, and when I did my first OW checkout dives, the weight belt, once it got past my stomach, well...let's just say between that and spinning like a slow top gave me an abiding hostility toward weight belts.

But some people are happy with weight belts and have used them for years. You're not me, and I don't know how you'll feel about them.

Richard.

I'd steer him to Planet Ocean, but Columbus is a little far. Do you know if Jerry's still doing well?

Yeah, Jerry's fine, but I think he's kinda sweating trying to run a dive shop in a dwindling market. I saw him yesterday, returning a tank I rented over the weekend so I could test and tune some ebay regs I scored cheap and rebuilt (he was closed but came in for a few minutes, and I ran into town with his shorty tank, because he needed it for pool lessons today).
He lost the heating unit for his pool out back, so he's been renting time in one at the college, and they're breaking his balls over the cost......and he friggin' teaches there !!
Everytime I'm in there, they're all gabbing about an upcoming Cozumel trip, and then one down to the Caymans, I believe.
That's the news from Jerry's World ! :D

Yeah, Jerry's fine, but I think he's kinda sweating trying to run a dive shop in a dwindling market. I saw him yesterday, returning a tank I rented over the weekend so I could test and tune some ebay regs I scored cheap and rebuilt (he was closed but came in for a few minutes, and I ran into town with his shorty tank, because he needed it for pool lessons today).
He lost the heating unit for his pool out back, so he's been renting time in one at the college, and they're breaking his balls over the cost......and he friggin' teaches there !!
Everytime I'm in there, they're all gabbing about an upcoming Cozumel trip, and then one down to the Caymans, I believe.
That's the news from Jerry's World ! :D
Cool. Good to hear he's still doing well. Best shop/owner I've known.

Welcome! What area of Atlanta?

I recently got this, and switched out the computer for an Oceanic Pro Plus. The BCD is a Hybrid, in other words, it's one that's a mix of Jacket and Back inflate. It's also weight integrated, so you don't need a weight belt.

The computer that I bought with it is also air integrated, which means it tells you how much actual time that you have underwater with the amount of air that you have in your tank, and there are also big numbers on it, so if the vision starts to go as one gets a little older, it's still easier to read.

Here's the link: Scubapro Equalizer BC, Reg and Computer Package | Dolphin Scuba Center

Also these guys have great customer service, and will match any price. They also will work with you if you want to do what I did and change out pieces and parts. Fortunately, these guys are also my LDS, so I am a little spoiled with that.

No, I don't work for them... they are just that good. Really good.

Have you had a chance to test the Oceanic Computer? I've heard that the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 has had some issues.

Have you had a chance to test the Oceanic Computer? I've heard that the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 has had some issues.

Not yet... but I should have some time to do that next week. Going through a Scuba Review and I think we are going to get some pool time in...

Back
Top Bottom