Hero3 Black with Blurfix3 SO and macro filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these macro filters magnifying the subject ?

I ask because I have used +2, +4 diopters that slightly magnify but are used more to allow the camera lens to focus up close. For example, a typical camcorder needs to be 1 foot away to focus, but adding a diopter allows it to focus from 4 inches away. The magnification was minimal with the diopters I used. When I got them I was expecting +2 and +4 to make the subject 2x and 4x larger, but that is not how they work.

I thought the same, but the video with the measuring tapes proved me wrong. There is some very slight magnification, even with all of them stacked.

I was just looking at footage that I remember filming from so close but the video looks from so far away :(

I will have to look into it as I never really tried it without a flat lens, are you saying functionally near sighted basically meaning it will actually be in focus very close to the camera? From my use of the regular housing I never noticed this but never paid much attention to it really, as it looked out of focus at all distances I thought but I will take another look. If you dont maintain the air gap it will bring focus closer and if with th round lens its already too close adding a macro filter will only make that worse or closer.
What I meant by nearsighted was that near objects were clearer than distant objects, even if they were a long way from perfect. Near however should not be construed to mean close as GoPros are not much for close focus.

As to the air gap, remember that was not the only way to fix the focus on the old housings. Turning the lens 1/4 turn also solved the problem which is nothing more than an optical adjustment. So the question here is will the additional optical correction being added also fix the problem? Granted, it will bring the focus up to within inches of the glass and everything beyond will be fuzzy but it may actually work without the air gap.

Flareside I will give it a try with a tape measure on in the bath lol and see what happens, my guess is that with the round lens focus effected and brought in closer then the camera lens as from all I have seen even the objects closest to the lens are still out of focus but it is clearly better then anything further away. By the way the close up/macro filters work by adjusting focus and bringing it in closer to the camera then I dont expect it to work with a properly focused camera and no air gap.

However using the quarter turn trick would be a good way to make the original blurfix a wet filter option and also allow you to use macro lenses to bring the focus point closer in the same way as using the Blurfix3. The only real downside of re adjusting the lens is that it likely voids warranty and also if you set focus for underwater it will then be out of focus above water. This is why the best method is still having a flat lens so you can use the camera both above and below water without needing to adjust the lens which isnt possible once in the housing.

I also want to measure how the water effects the minimum focus distance compared to land, to me it looks like the focus is still a little further away underwater using the same macro filters compared to above water. I think +17 which is those 4 filters stacked underwater needs to be another 3-5cm or so further then on land to get focus after some more testing today. My +20 filter is due tomorrow but I wont have a chance to take diving it for a week or so I think but will try some land based tests when I get a chance.

I do really hope that the new firmware also enables protune mode to use 1080p narrow modes as these are the best for macro use. I also tried some general mode tests today with a hero1,2 and 3 black underwater trying auto modes and protune with auto and cam raw. I am finding I prefer cam raw underwater as it has no wb issues and all the auto modes still suffer with poor wb at times especially in changing light, shadows or shooting towards the sun. With cam raw there is no wb drift and its easy to adjust in post, macro using 1080p60 narrow mode with wb set to cam raw, but then protune disabled seems to keep a protune type colour profile even though in the manual it says seting protune off will revert to full auto. The images are definitely different if you leave wb to cam raw vs auto before turning off protune. This I dont mind but there is still wb drift and this is the hardest thing to deal with in uw footage.

I will try edit some video up in the next few days showing both the 3 cam comparisons with most modes and also my second dive where I tested more macro shots.

That is a truly awesome video. Crystal clear on the smallest details ! Makes my Go Pro2 beginners efforts look terrible but the technical info is very helpful...going to get a 3 after xmas and will look into some of the filters you mention. Very beautiful and bizarre creatures there. I've never seen the puffer/cowfish ?? with the crazy patterns before. Makes me want to dive Australia.

Besides ordering online, is it easy to just get uw macro/close up lens from the camera shops?

Hi Marty.
Awesome Micro video.
I have GoPro 1, and I want to try micro shots.
I have GoPro dive housing as well as SRP brurfix.
Can I utilize any of them to attach filters 2 +10.
any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Besides ordering online, is it easy to just get uw macro/close up lens from the camera shops?

You should be able to get these, I did have trouble getting +10 55mm close up filters trying all the local camera shops but other places may have a larger range then were around me.

Hi Marty.
Awesome Micro video.
I have GoPro 1, and I want to try micro shots.
I have GoPro dive housing as well as SRP brurfix.
Can I utilize any of them to attach filters 2 +10.
any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you.

You can use the original blur fix, the main issue with it is that you will still need one extra lens to be used for the focus fix then stack close up filters on top. The hero1 also doesnt have a narrow fov option so your best option will be 1080p which is medium fov and you will be limited to how much you can stack before you get vignetting caused by the filter frames.

Hi Marty.
can I fit [h=2]Blurfix3 SO on Gorpo dive housing for hero 1[/h]I want to use it like a dome clip on filter for macro.
thanks.

Hi Marty.
can I fit Blurfix3 SO on Gorpo dive housing for hero 1

I want to use it like a dome clip on filter for macro.
thanks.

Chiro, that won't fit the HERO1 housing. You might want to consider using the original BlurFix ($77 kit), it has the same 55mm thread but requires you to modify your housing.

This thread should be called defying physics
Diopters are designed for lenses that are 80mm or more ideally 100mm
By stacking more and more diopters on a fixed focus lens you end up crashing into the marine life but the magnification is limited as you need to give the fish some space
The reason why you get macro with other cameras is because of the zoom lens as above >80mm the diopter itself only allows you to get closer but magnifies absolutely nothing and real macro means 1 inch frame height by the way not just a closer fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom