Hero 3 vs Hero3+. Case only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just ordered a Hero3+ from REI using the 20% off coupon for my upcoming trip to Cabo Pulmo in a week and a half. Likely no company is going to come out for a color filter for the new case for a few weeks. I've been contemplating ordering the case for the Hero3 as well as a Backscatter Flip3.1 system to put the Hero3+ in. Otherwise my other option would be to dive with the newer 3+ case with no filter

Just wondering, how much do people think the additional depth limit for the original Hero3 case adds to the overall sturdiness vs the newer 3+ case? It sounds like the new case is easier to use (buttons).

Anyone have both cases care to compare?

I actually have two flips on mine. One for a red filter and one for macro/diopter lenses. I go between using one +10 macro lens that is always on one of the 55mm flips and sometimes I will stack a second +10 macro lens. My macro lenses are 58mm so I use a 55mm to 58 mm adapter. I got the lens idea from here: Gopro Info. I'm also considering getting a single Marumi +10 macro lens from SRP granted it performs as well as having two of my cheapo +10 stacked.

You will need lights if using the macros at any significant depth, say past 15-20 ft unless you can manage to get an additional red filter in front of the macro lens which I've been thinking about. Switching the GoPros FOV to Narrow when doing macro closeups is pretty much a necessity too so it makes it a bit more of a hassle. I just posted a video in this thread which has some examples of my macro shots: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/467155-new-video-yucab-reef-cozumel.html

It all depends on what you intended usage is I guess.

The one draw back to this Flip configuration is the lenses sometimes flip forward in the way unintentionally. I'm thinking of a way to help keep them back when not in use like with a small strap or something.

Here's a pic of my setup:

GoProFlip.jpg

Back
Top Bottom