Hero 3 Video settings need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

What are the normal settings to video a dive? I've set to 1080 - 30 - Medium, it became slow motion. I just want a normal movie. Did I set somethin else not right that caused it?

It may be played back in slow motion if your computer is struggling to play back the file. If its struggling to playback smoothly in 1080p30 then you should try another media player such as VLC player or convert the video to cineform format using the free gopro software. Most mid range computers should be able to playback 1080p30 fine so if its struggling in that mode it may be time for an upgrade if its not a software related issue caused by the media player your using. I have heard of quite a few people having issues in 1080p60 playback but not many at 30p.

practice makes perfect, practice operating the gopro control on land BEFORE diving with it. And explore all settings, both in camera and PC.

Simple test.

Shoot all modes of video while spinning around in a room or out in your yard, talking out loud about the settings so you can view/hear it later. The spinning motion really makes FPS apparent, as faster FPS = Smoother video. Heck hold the camera up close to a flower to pretend it's an anemone, or you're panning chasing a fish (to test FOV field of view and focus range for narrow/med/wide FOV settings)

By shooting on land, at different settings, you can then see file size, and computer capacity to do post processing.

Video files, especially at larger/finer resolution, get BIG FAST.

so practice, and you'll get the hang of it

Thanks Rocky. I will work harder.

Btw, have you ever heard of the housing leaking while diving? I have not tested it uw yet.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2013 at 09:42 AM ----------

When I copy the files to my computer, the movie plays normal on WMP but when it's played direct from the camera's SD card, it played slow motion.
I wonder what's the problem.

Thanks Rocky. I will work harder.

Btw, have you ever heard of the housing leaking while diving? I have not tested it uw yet.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2013 at 09:42 AM ----------

When I copy the files to my computer, the movie plays normal on WMP but when it's played direct from the camera's SD card, it played slow motion.
I wonder what's the problem.

Any underwater housing can leak and most of the time this is simply user error, you must be very careful with the hosing seal as this is what keeps the water out of the housing. Make sure this is very clean before use underwater as a single grain of sand or hair across the seal can be enough to cause water to enter the housing. Make sure to always thoroughly rinse the housing in fresh water after use and prior to use underwater inspect the white gasket, I always take these out and give them a good rinse then shake them dry prior to putting them back in before underwater use.

The transfer rate of the GoPro via USB is pretty slow and I prefer to always use a card reader for transferring files, my USB 3.0 reader and sandisk 64GB ultra micro SD card can transfer at around 38MB/s and via the GoPro I get under 10MB/s which should be fast enough for playing back all the video files but you may be getting slower transfer speeds causing that issue but your best of to transfer files of your card to your computer before playing back or editing them.

Thanks Marty for all the tips and advice.

Today when I played back direct from the SD card, it is back to normal rate, no more slow motion.:confused:

It's set to 1080, 60, medium. Photos to 12mp.

Tomorrow I will have to look for a suitable 55mm close up lens (+7 maybe) to fit the SRP dome filter. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom