HERO 3 Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need some info.

Is the mounting hardware the same as the other GP's?
Any flooding issues?
Any operational issues?

Any advise, suggestions, comments would be very helpful.

Thanks

same mounts, better latch, better camera...

I have the hero 3 Black. Just tried it in the pool tonight. Video is stunning.

It is not without issues however. It has a mind of its own when using the wifi function and pairing it with an iphone or ipad to use the preview function. Sometimes it connects fine, other times it wont. I did update it and the update has improved things, the menu is quicker. But sometimes has a mind of its own, like when you go into the settings to change resolution for instance, it sometimes jumps out of the settings menu and back to shooting mode of its own accord. I tried to take a few stills tonight and they are utterly crap. Unusable. I tried the 1080 narrow video, and thought hey thats good. Then I done 1080 wide and it was bloody stunning. Also tried 1440 in the pool, the video plays back 4:3 ratio so im not sure i was impressed by that now we are in the days of widescreen but I suppose it could be cropped that way. Overall, excellent for video. So many options! Crap for photos. Also a quick note on charging. I originally charged it with an iPad charger. Had the gopro turned on, the battery level icon was going up. Took it to a dive the next day and the battery was flat. I searched the net for an answer to this issue. DO NOT charge it when it is turned on. It may appear to be charging but it is not. Charge it when it is off. It has operational quirks. For a £350 camera i'm not sure that is acceptable, but honestly, video is utterly stunning. It works for me. :)

Has anyone used it in open water?
And if so, did you use a red filter?
How are you dealing with holding it while underwater? Strap? "L" bracket? Please advise...
Thanks!

Has anyone used it in open water?
And if so, did you use a red filter?
How are you dealing with holding it while underwater? Strap? "L" bracket? Please advise...
Thanks!

this is some video I shot the other weekend with a hero 3 black and a red filter... depths vary from surface to around 75 or so, I was using ahead mount with a chin strap added..

[video=youtube_share;w9e-n6vZsFo]http://youtu.be/w9e-n6vZsFo[/video]

Marine9...as with any GP you need some kind of platform to steady shooting, and a red filter is HIGLHY recommended.
Thanks for the comments guys...keep'em coming....

The Hero3 is at least as quirky as the original HD Hero. If I were buying another one, I'd definitely get it at a local retailer in case it was a lemon. Problems like overheating or randomly shutting off are not unheard of. Mine is fortunately ok, other than the 5 minute battery out/battery in dance I need to do when charging it.

Back
Top Bottom