Hero 3 Black vs. Hero 4 Silver for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a beginner when it comes to underwater photography/videography and am leaving for the Galapagos in a few months. I'm not expecting miracles but I'd like to get a simple setup that will allow me to get the best quality possible. I'm considering a used Hero 3 Black vs. a new Hero 4 Silver. Without a lot of experience, would having a Hero 4 vs. a Hero 3 make a big difference in quality? If I buy a used 3 Black I might have enough left in the budget to add a light. My main goal is to capture pictures/video of larger marine life. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Both have similar quality. But u'll need a good red filter and light(s) to bring out the colors.

If the price difference isn't too great, the hero 4 silver gives you the advantage with a display.

Brian,
I faced exactly the same question and decided to go with the Silver because of the display. Even in the murky green waters around Seattle I'm able to pull "snapshot-quality" stills without lights. The great part is that underwater, I only need to toggle one button. The less great part is that the workflow requires post-processing on the computer (with the free GoPro software).

Here are details: Easy One-Button Scuba Photos with GoPro Hero4
And a video:
[video=youtube;54bwE5N7G_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=54bwE5N7G_c[/video]

- Carl

Back
Top Bottom