Herniated disk, lower back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bob lenz

Reaction score
8 weeks ago I ruptured a disk (L4/L5) I had weekness in the left foot/toes, but almost all has returned. I did not have surgery, doctors were thinking I would need it. I am going to mexico in two weeks, and I am a diver, do you have any input on past divers? could this cause a problem with DCI? is it a huge risk to dive?? thanks for any reply. BOB

Howdy Bob:

Welcome to Scubaboard! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe that most diving medicine authorities would consider a herniated (ruptured) intervertebral disc with neurological symptoms (like weakness in a foot or toes, even if it has almost all returned) a reason not to dive.

I'm not aware of any increased risk of developing a decompression illness because of a herniated disc, but the symptoms from the back problem could easily be confused with a decompression illness. Also, a neurological impairment could interfere with a diver's ability to dive, and diving can involve strenuous activity that could aggravate an existing injury.

A herniated intervertebral disc without any neurological impairment is not necessarily considered to be a reason to give up diving, if the diver makes allowances for the potenitial for strenuous activity. Also, diving after successful surgery for a herniated disc after an appropriate healing period (typically 3-6 mos.) where there are no residual neurological problems or other difficulties is often allowed.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

I kind of figured that, thanks for the info on this, well I guess its snorkeling from now on.... Bob

I'm not a doctor, but have quite a bit of exposure to these problems. What is the severity? Is it just a "bulging disc", or a full blown hernation (i.e., encroachment on the nerve root and/or spinal cord). One doctors disk herniation is another doctor's bulge. The MRI scan would answer these questions (but not always) If you actually have peripheral symptoms (i.e., Radicular Symptoms), that would suggest a true herniation.

I actually have three bulging discs in my neck, which is not all that uncommon once people hit 40 (although I am only 37). The L4-5, and L5-S1 are the most common sites for disc problems. Apart from DCS, I can't imagine slinging on a weighted BC and tank if you are symptomatic. Maybe you could put it on in the water, but if it's a true herniation with symptoms, there is no way I would.

Thank for the reply, yes it is a rupture, but almost all pain and symptoms have gone away. some people are telling me that If I dive the symptoms of DCI are to close to the back injury, shooting pains, etc.. but the way I look at it, hart burn's symptoms act like a hart attack's symptoms in some ways, but people rearly rush to the hospital each time, running the risk of death from a hart attack, I just cant think of giving up Diving. maybe in time I can get back in the water, thanks again , any more input welcome. Bob

Howdy Bob:

As you know, no one here can give anyone "permission" to dive when they have a condition that many (if not most) diving medicine authorities would consider sufficient reason to disqualify someone from diving. But then we each have our own level of risk tolerance, and to a point we're each free to do as we please.

It is possible to adjust the risk of diving by altering behaviors, but the risk is still there. A diver can dive "conservative" profiles and still develop DCS, for example. He can try to avoid situations that would involve increasing risk, but what about those unavoidable situations (say like an unexpected change in conditions or even a buddy rescue)?

I wish you luck,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom