Heres one for you - TOOTH EXTRACTION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a molar extracted last Friday (bloody hurt and all!!). I am planning to go diving on Saturday to a max depth of 18m on 40% EAN. My question is, is there a possibilty that some air has been trapped in my cavity (the gum has started to heal over)? My concern is regarding reverse block that would result in gas expansion that would make my cavity explode on ascent.

Any comments?

I hope you get a positve response from the doc's out there Jay, I can sympathise. Wisdom tooth out 2 weeks ago. I will watch this space.

Neil

Hi Heads Up:

Scubakat asked a similar question earlier and Scubadoc posted a response from his diving dentist consultant at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t1634/s.html

The answer was specifically about wisdom teeth, but I'd bet much of it applies to extraction of other molars too.

HTH,

Bill

In addition to the thread that BillP mentioned above, you might want to visit this web page for more information on dental problems:
http://www.scuba-doc.com/dentprbs.html

To answer you specifically about trapped air - if this were present, you probably would know about it due to the possibility of pain from associated infection - which often accompanies an air pocket.
In addition, there is the possibility of causing a 'dry socket' with your tooth extraction site. A "dry socket" occurs when the blood clot is lost from an extraction site prematurely, exposing the underlying bone and fine nerve endings. The loss of the blood clot also allows continued bleeding and retards the healing process. The situation is very painful but essentially harmless, usually responding to impregnated gauze packs every 2-3 days over a two week period. Subsequent formation of new clot allows for eventual healing to take place, usually in about two months. Rinsing with non-alcoholic fluids twice a day for two weeks after impacted mandibular third molar removal significantly reduces the incidence of alveolar osteitis or dry socket.

Dry socket occurs in about 5% of tooth extractions, but in 33% of extractions in women on oral birth control pills, when the extraction is in the first 3 weeks of the cycle. In addition, there are some activities which may increase the propensity for dry socket formation... smoking, drinking carbonated beverages in the first 24 hours after surgery, spitting or drinking through a straw in that same time period. This latter Venturi effect of clot removal might also come into play with divers sucking air through a snorkel or regulator. Loculated air pockets do not seem to be an important factor, as is the case with an incomplete root canal.

With the information above, one would suppose that a diver could return to the sport anytime between two and eight weeks - depending upon the rate of healing, lack of infection and absence of pain as determined by his/her oral surgeon.

If you are having any problem at all with the socket, you should get the advice of your dentist about diving.

Just to close the thread, made a decision on Friday night that my socket had healed sufficiently to dive on Saturday. Made 2 18 m dives and a 6 m dive with no problems. Used antiseptic mouthwash after each dive to hopefully kill any little beasties that might've caused me infection. Monday now, and no problems.

Thanks alot for the advice Drs'

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom