Henderson Thermoprene Warmth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stimpy4242

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Do you think a 7mm thermoprene with a 7/5 hooded vest underneath is good down into cold water? Say 36 degrees? And please I am asking a simple question, don't tell me to get a drysuit, just let me know if you think that with this suit someone could complete a dive without being so uncomfortable that they would freeze solid...thats what I am asking.

I have the 7 mm henderson thrermoprene. It really is up to the diver I think. I know I certainly couldn't do it. It really depends how cold you get, but I wouldn't recommend a long dive in those temps.

As was said...depends on the diver and what the workload is during the dive. I don't get cold easily, and used a 7mm in the pacific northwest (water temp 45) and while I could do a dive or two and be fine, more than that I did start to get chilled.

I've used a 7+7mm John + jacket and a 5mm hood down to 46F (8C), and find that it's my hands (in 5mm gloves) that get cold first on a 30 minute dive. I don't think that I could stretch it much longer than that, even with thicker gloves. I'm thinking about trying 7mm gloves though, before getting one of those things that you don't want anyone to suggest. :)

Try preheating the wetsuit by pouring some hot water in just before the dive. It should buy you some time and save your body some precious heat that you will need for later in the dive.

Yes hes serious, :) I bring a cooler full of warm water and after the first dive I put my gloves and hood in it. Its nice putting those on for the second dive, and putting your hands in when you get out afterwards.

are you serious?

Yup, I am!

If you think about how a wetsuit works, the heating of a layer of trapped water, you can understand that if you start with a layer of warm water, your body doesn't have to expend as much energy to heat that initial layer of water. Your body will have more energy for later in the dive.

The main trick is to have a properly fitting wetsuit. If it is overly flexible and allows water to flow in when you move around, then it will not be much help.

That is the inherent problem in hyper-flexible wetsuits. They don't cling tightly enough to prevent flooding.

I have used a Thermoprene several times, I found it prone to flooding. I currently have an O'neil wetsuit that is a real PIA to put on and take off, but it is nice and warm!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom