Henderson Polyolefin or Microprene??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This is my first post on this board. I have been lurking for a while but I could not find an answer to this question. I was just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of both the .5mm MICROPRENE and the SUPERIOR POLYOLEFIN
HOT SKIN both by Henderson. What are the warmth and durability of both??

Well I have the regular Hotskin and it is a well made lycra "skin". It provide a bit of abrasion protection but has little thermal insulation. The "poly" is similar with a few nicer tweaks and a more durable/colourfast matrerial from what I gather from the catalog. Don't let velcro anywhere near the skin or you will have dangling fibers from the experience. I've also got the microprene which is a nice suit, easy to put on, gives protection, some thermal protection... good enough for mexican cenotes <- the guide kept insisting I should wear one of their shorties over my full suit (then of course I was using the lycra skin in the St Lawrence in July/September... do you get cold in the pool?? I find all my Henderson stuff fits me very well ever though the I don't fit all the dimensions in the guide. :D

For the money the microprene beats the skins hands down.....

Navy Razorback,
First,welcome to the board, from NJ.
Second, regarding your question: I recommend the "microprene"-I find it as comfortable as the other, and-due in good measure to the neck seal-warmer, for tropical use. Last Aug. I wore mine for a week in Cozumel-21 dives - and it worked very nicely-(water temps were 80-83+).
I used to wear a polartec suit-and I feel the microprene has the decided edge.
Good luck with your choice,
Mike

Welcome aboard,

I live and dive in the tropics and definately recommend the micropene for those 80-85 degree temps. As stated before skins are really only good for abrasions and stings. Just make sure the suit fits properly. Also the gold, in my experience is no different and definatley not worth the extra money.

I had a broken zipper on my microprene last month at the springs. When I got back I took the suit back to my LDS and they sent it away, it was back in a week, fixed and working fine (better than before it broke actually)... needless to say I was very happy with the outcome of that situation. Skins are comfortable but so is the microprene (and it's warmer than a skin also) ..... I can't see why I would ever by a skin again...

And miztflit is right, goldcore is a little warmer (because the whole suit is one big seal) but it doesn't warrant a price tage almost DOUBLE a regular suit....

Definately Microprene! My .5 mil is awesome for warm water - ocean, lakes (in August above the thermocline!). Stick with Henderson... a very good wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom